Bern, Interlaken, Zermatt – which railpass

• Mujaumnytl
    Participant
    3 posts
    4 November 2022 at 0:46:33 #828588

Hi, my name is Muja. Me and my friend (we both are 24) are going to visit Switzerland from 28 Dec-1 Jan 2023 with this itinerary:

28th Arrived and stay in Bern (stay for a night)

29-30th Explore Bern, Iseltwald, and Grindelwald First (our stay is in Iseltwald)

(30-1st our stay is in Interlaken)

31th Explore Jungfraujoch

1st Short visit to Zermatt then Zurich in the evening (for a flight)

We would appreciate it if you guys can recommend the most suitable public transportation pass for us, and I just want to make sure, is there public transport running from Interlaken West to Zurich? Does the luggage locker in the Interlaken West working well? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    4 November 2022 at 11:05:48 #948126

Hi Muja,

Based on your plans, a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass combined with a point-to-point ticket on the 1st day might work for you. You can find more information below:

There are regular train services between Interlaken and Zurich. You can check train schedules here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

The luggage lockers in Interlaken are available 24/7. You can find more information about travelling with luggage here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage

Let us know if you need more info.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2022 at 11:07:57 #948127

Several comments:

1) A 4 day Swiss Travel pass might be best, although your itinerary covers 5 days in total so you would have to ‘juggle’

2) Iseltwald and Interlaken are only 20 minutes apart, I don’t see the point of staying in two places

3) Interlaken – Zermatt – Zurich for an evening flight won’t be possible in practical terms.

Personally I think Gornergrat railway at Zermatt is better than the Jungfraujoch. The latter is very expensive and the train is inside the mountain for a long way with no views.

One option for you would be to view the Jungfrau, Mönch and Eiger from Grindelwald and or First, then on 31st, travel to Zermatt early, visit Gornergrat, stay for one night – then travel Zermatt – Zurich direct (journey time 3 hours 44 minutes). Note 31st will be New Years’ eve so there might be late partying and fireworks

• The thread ‘Bern, Interlaken, Zermatt – which railpass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.