Bern-Lucerne-Interlaken – 3 day trip ideas

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 12:14:59 #814560

Hi MySwissAlps Team,

Greetings from Indonesia. My husband and I will be traveling to Swiss on the second week of April. We will arrive in Bern in the morning by night bus from Paris and spend only 3 days in Swiss before continuing our trip to Munich, Germany.

Here is our itinerary:

Day 1: arrive in Bern in the morning (around 07.00) by night bus from Paris. Store luggage in Bern Train Station and spend few hours exploring the city. Head to Lucerne by train at 14.00. Overnight in Lucerne.

Day 2: go to Mt. Titlis. Enjoy Lucerne for few hours. Overnight in Lucerne

Day 3: Golden Pass line (Lucerne to Interlaken). Spend few hours in Interlaken. Catch Interlaken – Zurich train at 17.00 then take Zurich – Munich night bus at 22.30

The questions are:

1. Is 2-day Summer Tell-Pass a good choice for us? We want to use it for Mt. Titlis and the Golden Pass Line.

2. What do you think of the itinerary? Is it ideal to stay for 2 nights in Lucerne or do you have any better suggestion or tips to make it more convenient and efficient?

3. Can we bring our luggage on Golden Pass train?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 12:40:27 #877473

Hi HappyDama and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes, a Tell Pass will work for the train to Interlaken and Mt. Titlis from Lucerne. It won’t cover you from Bern to Lucerne and part of the trip to Zurich (covers you as far as Baar or Zug if you go via Lucerne).
      If, from Interlaken Ost, you go the faster, more direct route to Zurich it won’t cover the trip at all (via Bern). Read about what is covered by the Tell Pass (including a PDF map) here.
      1. Another option would be to look at the Swiss Travel Pass for 3 days – it will cover all your planned trips (except Mt. Titlis which has a 50% discount).
      2. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips.
    2. I think the itinerary works pretty well. I don’t think Interlaken is worth a few hours of your trip though (but the train trip there on the Golden Pass route is quite nice). You could get off at Interlaken Ost, and take a Lake Thun boat cruise to Thun and explore that town – then take a train on to Zurich from there.
    3. Yes, you can take luggage on all Swiss trains.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 13:28:41 #877474

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to calculate the Bern-Lucerne and the Lucerne/Interlaken-Zurich ticket when using Summer Tell Pass. Will look deeper on Swiss Travel Pass vs Summer Tell Pass and The Lake Thun boat cruise is such a good idea.

• The thread ‘Bern-Lucerne-Interlaken – 3 day trip ideas’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.