Bern or Lucerne for 3 nights

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2015 at 9:31:58 #806844

We will travelling from Colmar and have 3 nights before we are due in Geneva. is it best to stay in Bern or Lucerne. What day trips can be done from Bern? We will be there early June. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    31 January 2015 at 18:12:54 #841659

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Lynnie!

Which town is best, depends on the plans you have. If you like to explore the mountains I wouldn’t pick Bern if I were you. You’d better stay in Lucerne or Interlaken in that case, as these base towns allow you to quickly reach cable cars and mountain trains.

If you want to be located centrally to make day trips to several parts of the countries, Bern would be fine. It’s certainly a nice city and you can still make day trips to Thun and the Bernese Oberland from there. Traveling times to all destinations can be found in the timetable. Here’s more information on both Bern and Lucerne:

By the way, you may consider using the Golden Pass route to travel to Geneva. Depending on where you’re staying you can board in Lucerne, Interlaken or Spiez. If you plan to travel by public transportation, be sure to look into rail passes too.

I hope this helps you decide.

• The thread ‘Bern or Lucerne for 3 nights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.