Bern to Interlaken – cruise on Thun lake

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 17:13:43 #816143

Hi All,

We ( group of 6 adults) would be travelling from Geneve to Interlaken in the month of July.

Our plan is to travel from Geneve (Will reach Geneve at 12:30 pm) to Bern by Train and then from Bern to Interlaken via cruise on Thun Lake.

I have following questions :-

1. Best option to travel by cruise from Bern to Interlaken. Share timetable

2. How far is the location of cruise from Bern Train station? Is it walking distance?

3. Do we need to reserve tickets for the cruise beforehand? ( We are planning to buy Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days)

4. Is it allowed to board the cruise with lost of luggage?

5. Options to explore Interlaken in one day.

Thanks,

Pratiksha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 May 2018 at 18:33:27 #885969

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps Pratiksha!

1./2. From Bern, you can travel to Thun by train. Connections can be found in the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble. In Thun you can board the boat to Interlaken West. You’ll find a link to the boat timetables under “More on other websites” at myswissalps.com/boatla kethun. The boat dock in Thun is right next to the rail station. You can board in other places along the way as well, such as in Spiez.

3. No, reservations aren’t necessary. Your Swiss Travel Pass will cover the entire boat trip: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity. Please find suitable Swiss Travel Pass resellers at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price.

4. Taking along luggage generally is no problem, as long as you can handle it well and don’t mind keeping an eye on it during the boat trip. Mind that boat cruises can be crowded in July. If you don’t feel comfortable, please check the available luggage services at myswissalps.com/train/ practical/luggage. I think it would be a lot easier to travel baggage-free if you do Geneva-Bern-Interlaken plus a boat trip all in one day.

5. Please study myswissalps.com/interl aken.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    22 May 2018 at 18:51:43 #885970

The boat trip is magnificent and the wharves at Thun and Interlaken are close to the respective railway stations.

It’s also possible to combine the local buses and short boat trips across or along the lake.

At Spiez, the wharf is some distance from the station and it’s uphill if you go from boat to train. There is a bus, but, as I recall, only operates hourly.

A lovely part of the world to explore at leisure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 21:49:32 #885971

Thanks for your reply. I have following questions.

1. Is there any cruise starting from Bern to Interlaken? (So that I can avoid changing train from Bern to Thun)

2. Can I buy swiss pass at Geneve train station? If yes will it be readily available or I have to wait in a long queue?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 May 2018 at 22:35:36 #885972

1. There are no cruises departing Bern. It is not on a lake.

2. Difficult to predict how long a queue will be at any particular time but it is far more efficient to order your Swiss Travel Pass on-line and print at home before you set off in your trip. That way you can use it directly on arrival plus you can print and carry backups in case of loss or damage.

• The thread ‘Bern to Interlaken – cruise on Thun lake’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.