Bern worth visiting on a short trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2019 at 13:48:10 #820130

I recently posted a similar post about Zurich and now ask about Bern.

Again, I realize there is no definitive answer to this but I welcome your opinions on:

After spending 2 nights in Luzerne my next destination is Wengen. My question is, would it be worth stopping in Bern long enough for a 1/2 day tour of the historic center before moving on to Bern. Please note that the rest of proposed itinerary does not include any more Swiss/German historic cities.

Thanks to all who responded to previous post.

Jerry

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2019 at 16:08:01 #905087

Hi Jerry!

You can have a look at this link and decide if it’s worth it depending on your personal interests:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rn

Bern is the capital of Switzerland, so plenty to see and do there!

Have a wonderful trip!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2019 at 16:22:26 #905088

Thank you for your reply.

Based on what you said, I have learned that in the future I should include a statement that I have already read all pages re topic on myswissalps.com including forum postings.

I am primarily interested in personal opinions based on experiences and knowledge.

Jerry

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2019 at 16:32:24 #905089

Hi Jerry

If that’s what you’re after, could you give us some guidance in terms of your personal interests, fitness level etc. ? For example are you into sightseeing, history, culture, architecture or are you more of a sports and nature lover?

Also helpful would be the month or time of the year you are planning your trip. A lot of the activities in Switzerland are season dependent.

Having that information will certainly increase the quality of the responses you get on MySwissAlps 🙂

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2019 at 16:46:10 #905090

sightseeing, history, culture, architecture and nature lover with good level of fitness

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    28 February 2019 at 4:47:34 #905091

After 21 trips to the Bernese Oberland my personal opinion is that Bern is a great destination if 1) you are staying in the BO for a long-ish time (like at least a week) AND 2) you have a rainy day and have run out of better things to do in the BO on a rainy day (there are many).

You do not state your travel dates nor what you mean by “short trip” but I would give Bern a bye. It is a lovely small city but you can see lovely cities anywhere in the world. And you will have just come from a city (Luzern) What’s special about Switzerland are the Swiss Alps. You cannot see those anywhere else in the world. Therefore I strongly recommend that you maximize your time there (Wengen area)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2019 at 7:32:48 #905092

I fully agree with Kim, if I had half a day to kill I would spend it in the beautiful Swiss mountain scenery. One trip up a cable car would beat Bern anytime. Same with Zurich!

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 February 2019 at 10:51:01 #905093

Slowpoke shared some good tips about Bern at the end of his second post here: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/traveling-from-lucerne-in-one-day.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 March 2019 at 22:46:45 #905094

Hi Arno –

I was just getting around to answering Jerrys, when I saw your post. Thanks. I’ll note I agree with Kim’s opinion in general.

<<“What’s special about Switzerland are the Swiss Alps.”>>

However, if Jerrys wants to spend time in Bern, I’d tend to disagree in particular with the statement

<<It is a lovely small city but you can see lovely cities anywhere in the world.”>>

Jerrys has expressed an interest in architecture and culture. Both are prominent in Bern.

<<“sightseeing, history, culture, architecture and nature lover with good level of fitness”>>

It is a Zähringer city:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ House_of_Z%C3%A4hringe n

The Bear Pits, although featured as tourist attraction, actually are an artifact of the history of Bern, whose name is derived from the German word for bear.

It is not a UNESCO World Heritage Site for no reason.

whc.unesco.org/en/list /267

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Old_City_(Bern)

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 23:11:47 #905095

Thanks for good response

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 23:14:17 #905096

Thanks for your good input.

I was in Bern previously a long time ago and liked it. However, I’m traveling with some other people and just looking for some input.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 March 2019 at 23:22:47 #905097

Hi Jerry –

<<“sightseeing, history, culture, architecture and nature lover with good level of fitness”>>

For medieval history…Carolingian times :

http://www.outdooractive.com/ en/church/graubuenden/ st.-peter-s-church-in-mistail/7131492/

Well off your path, as I understand it.

Wine Culture:

This special inn in the Graubünden, where the root stocks of the grape vines date back to Roman times:

http://www.zurbuendte.ch/

This following is a stretch, and only works at some times of the year.

Since you have apparently locked in your travel plans on “name” places, it may also be irrelevant.

There are many centers of historical cultures… One in particular is the Emmental. The “Pennsylvania Dutch” in the USA, also Amish and Mennonites in other states, have extensive roots in the Emmental between Luzern and Bern. Here, the Anabaptist were persecuted in the 1600’s in Schloss Trachselwald ( the German Schloss means castle ) the focal point of the attached panorama. Some of the farmsteads around Fankhaus have priest’s holes. Beautiful country for walking, and the Emmental Inns, a part of the cultural traditions, though gradually disappearing, still support the rural culture to some degree. Hiking in the countryside with many accessible inns for overnight stays has been a tradition for generations.

Cheese is well known as part of the Swiss culture. A Show Dairy (Schaukäserei) in the Emmental displays old and modern techniques.

The cities don’t tel the whole story. Neither do the mountains.

The history of Switzerland, and its governance culture (Direct Democracy) are unique in modern Europe. I’m not sure of the best way for a tourist to experience this, but, I offer:

“Why Switzerland” by Jonathan Steinberg…particularly, the second edition, ISBN-13 978-0-521-48453-4 paperback.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Bern worth visiting on a short trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.