When to buy point-to-point tickets in addition to Berner Oberland Pass

• DebH
    Participant
    71 posts
    17 December 2023 at 4:03:01 #1002584

We will be spending seven nights in the Bernese Oberland early next October and plan to get the Berner Oberland Pass along with the Half Fare Card.

I am unsure whether to purchase the BO Pass for the two days that we travel into and out of the Bernese Oberland.

Coming in, we will be travelling from Zermatt.  From what I can work out if I have the pass for that day, it covers us from Brig, is that right?  If so, do I simply buy a half fare point to point ticket from Zermatt to Brig?

Leaving we will be travelling to Montreux on the Goldenpass Express.  We already have our seat reservations in Prestige Class.  Again I think the BO Pass covers us to Saanen.  Can I simply buy a half fare point to point ticket from Saanen to Montreux and then be covered for the entire journey?

If I have all this right, I assume I can simply buy these tickets the night before or on the day using the SBB app.

A further question re the point to point tickets.  Obviously on the day we leave on the Goldenpass Express we will naturally need to catch the train that we have reservations for.  For the arrival day, are the point to point tickets for a specific train, or could we catch hop on whichever train suits us from Zermatt?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    17 December 2023 at 8:08:53 #1002588

Hi DebH,

There is a minimum of 3 days for the Berner Oberland Pass.  All handy information here, including network map, how to use, purchase options. (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/berner-oberland-pass/)

• Correct, if you traveling from Zermatt to the Berner Oberland, yes you’d need to buy a ticket from Zermatt-Brig.  Thereon the pass would kick in.
    • For your trip on the GoldenPass, coverage with the Berner Oberland Pass takes you to Saanen and yes, you’d buy a ticket for the rest of the trip to Montreux, which would be discounted via your Berner Oberland Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-half-fare-card/).  That’s great you have locked in your reservations for Prestige Class for your trip on the GoldenPass by the way. (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/goldenpass/).

Yes, you can buy the necessary tickets the day before or on the day.  Just make sure you have it before you board. Purchase options can also be found here:

That’s right, for your trip on Prestige Class, you’ll need to board for the specific time and date you reserved for.

A regular point-to-point ticket will allow you to take any train, it’s only for example if you purchased a  Supersaver ticket, you would have restrictions.  You can read  about both in the above link.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

DebH
    Participant
    71 posts
    17 December 2023 at 9:46:13 #1002664

Thank you so much Yolanda.  You have answered every question, so I am very grateful.

My other option is to just buy the six day BO Pass and use saver day passes for the two travel days, which strangely works out at exactly the same price.  The only issue there though is the need to buy the passes six months in advance, which is an issue if something was to happen and we couldn’t travel.

Buying the point to point allows us to simply buy through the app whilst we are having dinner the night before.

Thanks once again.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    17 December 2023 at 9:58:43 #1002665

Hi DebH

We stayed in Wengen for 4 nights last June.

We bought a Half Fare Card and a 3 day BO Pass.  For the days we travelled to and from Wengen we bought Half Fare Saver Day Passes as soon as they came available at their cheapest price.

We took an indirect route from Geneva Airport to Wengen via  Neuchâtel and Bern when we arrived and took the Golden Pass train to Montreux on the way back to Geneva airport.

You would need a first class Saver Day Pass for your journey to Montreux.

We did the maths and this worked out slightly cheaper. We also enjoyed being able to decide which route to take on our day of arrival.

Hope this is of help.

Jane

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    17 December 2023 at 15:37:05 #1002950

Hi DebH,

Most welcome.  Just to clarify, you do not have to buy the Saver Day Pass six months in advance.  They are available for purchase six months in advance, hence the price can be quite advantageous.  Perhaps you can see nearer the time, once you feel your plans are confirmed, the Saver Day Pass can still be purchased.  However the price can change or they may not be available.

Our Saver Day Pass handy guide can be found here, together with online purchase options:

The Saver Day Pass also serves as your ‘ticket’ for the trip on the GoldenPass too, but yes it would have to reflect the class you have reserved yourself for. So either a first class Saver Day Pass or you can upgrade your journey accordingly.  (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/train/classes/#traveling-in-1st-class-with-a-2nd-class-pass-or-ticket).

Of course, work with what suits you best.  Buying the point-to-point the evening before is also convenient too.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    17 December 2023 at 15:55:48 #1002952

Many thanks JaneEB,

Yes, that’s so true with the Saver Day Pass.  As it’s valid all day, you have the freedom to take any train or route 🙂

Kind regards,

Yolanda

DebH
    Participant
    71 posts
    18 December 2023 at 5:53:32 #1002967

Thanks to both of you.  I think I prefer to buy the point to point the night before.  There is a lot we have to buy in advance and the less we have to the better, just in case anything goes wrong.

I assume the saver day passes are not cancelleable or refundable.

So long as I have the stations correct, eg. Brig from Zermatt, and Saanen on the way to Montreux all will be fine.  I will have a first class half fare card and a first class BO Pass, so will buy first class point to point tickets too.

Thanks again.

Anna
    6355 posts
    18 December 2023 at 11:14:40 #1002973

Hi DebH,

That’s correct. The Saver Day Pass is not refundable and can’t be exchanged.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘When to buy point-to-point tickets in addition to Berner Oberland Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.