Berner – Oberland Pass and individual tickets

• DRoss
    Participant
    10 posts
    24 March 2016 at 3:09:14 #808708

I arrive in Zurich on the 5/24, stay overnight and leave for Murren the following morning, and I will stay in Murren till 5/29, and then head to Milan. The Berner – Oberland pass is offered for 4, 6, and 10 days. I know I am going to get the 4 day pass, is just when should I start using it? .I know I need to get a ticker for Zurich to Bern, and then in Bern I could start using the pass, but I wondering if I should purchase the Berner Oberland pass to start on 5/26 and end on 5/29.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    24 March 2016 at 10:14:44 #849794

Hi DRoss,

If I were you I’d use the 4 day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland for your days in Mürren only, that is from May 25 until May 28. The inbound and outbound legs Zurich-Mürren and Mürren-Domodossola can be covered using a Swiss Transfer Ticket, as explained in your previous topic.

DRoss
    Participant
    10 posts
    24 March 2016 at 18:14:02 #849795

Ok. So If I undestand you correctly. I should use my 4 day Berner/Oberland Pass, but also get a Swiss Transfer ticket my legs for Zurich to Bern to Murren and then for the trip from Brig to Domodossola, correct? At Domodossola, will I have to buy another ticket to Milan?

Annika
    7121 posts
    24 March 2016 at 20:38:51 #849796

Hi DRoss,

Yes, that’s the combination I’d advise. Note that you need the Swiss Transfer Ticket for the entire leg Mürren-Domodossola, not just Brig-Domodossola, as your Regional-Pass won’t be valid anymore during this outbound trip. You indeed need an additional ticket Domodossola-Milan, but you don’t have to get out in Domodossola to arrange for it. Online purchase options are listed here. Buying it in Switzerland at any manned rail station before leaving is an option too.

DRoss
    Participant
    10 posts
    24 March 2016 at 22:37:42 #849797

Thanks. I got it, because I am leaving Murren to travle outside of the Berner-Oberland and Swiss region, I will need the Swiss Transfer ticket to accomplish that. The only issue I have with purchasing the Domodossola – Milan ticket on line is the flexible; for example if I miss my connecting train to the Milan.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 March 2016 at 12:38:46 #849798

Hi DRoss,

I’m not sure where you searched for tickets to Milan, but if you take a look at http://www.raileurope.com/eur opean-trains/trenitalia/how-to-book.html you’ll see they offer “semi flexible” and slightly more expensive “flexible” tickets. Even though the first one is not refundable, it can be changed once if required, e.g. if you miss the train you booked seats for. If that happens, just go to the ticket office and they’ll sort it out.

• The thread ‘Berner – Oberland Pass and individual tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.