Bernese Oberland 2nd week of May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2012 at 23:18:04 #805541

Hello,
    I have never traveled to Switzerland before.
    This question is referring to Lucerne, Interlaken, wilderswil, wengen, Lauterbrunnen area.
    Can anyone who has traveled to Switzerland in the early weeks of May tell me what the weather is like. I have heard many of the lifts and trails are closed at this time due to maintenance and snow. I would like to see Mt. Rigi and schynige platte, jungfrau etc. Any personal experiences are much appreciated.
    Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    16 August 2012 at 3:53:19 #836950

Early May is not a good time to visit the region. Most of the higher mountain lifts and trains are closed until the end of May. Most of the trails in the mountains are also closed due to snow. You can visit Lucerne, Interlaken,
    Wilderswil, and Lauterbrunnen in May as these cities/villages are not in the mountains. But the magic of Switzerland is in the higher Alpine regions so you would be best advised to visit later in the summer (like beginning in July).

Annika
    7116 posts
    16 August 2012 at 5:27:58 #836951

Hi viv004! Yes, many mountain lifts are still closed down. You will be able to visit Rigi, Jungfraujoch, Kleine Scheidegg, Pilatus, Titlis and Schilthorn though. To complicate things: I personally like Switzerland a lot in May. I have to confess that I’ve been lucky with great weather conditions several times, so that helped to create wonderful experiences. I especially like the snow, the blossoming spring nature and the peace and quiet; the tourism regions you describe are more crowded in July and August. But it’s a matter of personal preference. If you want to be able to hike up in the mountains (which is often not possible in May), visit all viewing points, have the best chances of good weather and warmth and, as a summary, have the all-round alpine experience, you should indeed plan your trip in July, August or September.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2012 at 20:02:55 #836952

Thank you for the valuable information! I think I may move Switzerland to the last leg of my trip so that I am there at the end of May. Thank you again!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    16 August 2012 at 20:06:46 #836953

Good idea. The high mountain transports usually beginning running again between May 26 and May 28.

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland 2nd week of May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.