Bernese Oberland Pass suitability

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 20:14:53 #812659

Hi

My family and I are travelling to Switzerland in August 2017, staying in Wilderswil for 1 week. It will be my wifes first trip to this beautiful country and we plan to do a few of the usual trips based around Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Murren etc namely up the Schilthorn, Trummelbach falls, Kleine Scheidegg possibly Jungfraujoch and Lake cruises on Thun or Brienz, or both.

Would the Bernese Oberland pass be our best option? There are two adults and one 15 year old.

Thanks

Richard

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 1:47:02 #867020

Hi Richard, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

A 6-day Jungfrau Travel Pass would be cheaper, but is valid in a more restricted area. It does cover all the destinations you mentioned in your message though, and provides more free travel in the Jungfrau Region than does the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland (e.g. buses to Bussalp and Grosse Scheidegg, Harder Kulm railway).

The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland gives you more flexibility for travelling over a wider area, but if you don’t take advantage of that, then it’s not the most economical option. It does provide better coverage than the Jungfrau Travel Pass does on the Mürren side of the Lauterbrunnen Valley though.

Have you read this information?

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass

http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and

If you decide to go up to the Jungfraujoch, the Jungfrau Travel Pass gets you free travel to Eigergletscher, whereas the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland only provides free travel to Kleine Scheidegg (one stop before Eigergletscher).

Regardless of which option you choose, your 15-year old can travel for a fixed price of CHF 30.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 2:34:22 #867021

Hi Richard

I will be there in Augst too and considered the BO pass or the Jungfrau pass and have similar plans but we only need 4 days.

I did see that Jungfrau gives 50% off the Eigergletscher – Jungfraujoch section (full cost is 61 CHF) so only 30 CHF whilst the BO pass I believe is 25% off from Kleine Scheidegg. (full cost 64 CHF) so 48 CHF.

1 difficulty I am having is when i click the link for the jungfrau pass map it is in black and white so cannot see what which are red and green solid lines to see what extra you get on the 5/6 day pass.

I did do the excel spreadsheet but do expect to do jungfraujoch and the extra 18 CHF savings might actually make the jungfrau pass the better value than BO but with actually just needing a 4 day pass the BO pass includes lake trips (jungfrau only includes those on 5-6 days) which i think we will do for some variety especially if the peaks are blanketed in.

At the end of the day it is very close in cost between the 2.

cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 2:48:49 #867022

one other note. on reddit there is info on a discount voucher that gets a 2 month half fare pass for 33CHF. Only good through Aug 15.

If that is true we will get that great deal and the BO pass. Use the half fare for trips to and from geneva and also jungfrajoch then the BO pass for the other trips.

cheers

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 July 2017 at 3:23:32 #867023

I think that CHF33 offer is from the Tourist Club of Switzerland and applies only to the domestic half-fare card.

Translated (by Google) from TCS website :

Trial Half-Fare for CHF 33.-

As a TCS member, you can now test SBB’s Half-Fare subscription for two months at a special price of only CHF 33.00.

Trial Half-Fare for CHF 33.-

With the Trial Half-Fare cheap through Switzerland

With the Half-Fare travelcard, you can travel to Switzerland on very favorable terms. As a TCS member you now have the opportunity to test the probably most popular subscription for Switzerland for two months. And the special price of only CHF 33.-. Just use the voucher at a public transport service and benefit from all the advantages of the Halbtax. The two-month validity of the Trial Half-Tax starts from the moment you refer to it.

TCS offer

Trial half-bax for two months at the price of CHF 33.-.

The CHF 33.- can be charged when purchasing a normal half-fare subscription with validity date without interruption from the end of the trial half-bax.

The offer is available against the gift of the voucher at a operated sales point of the public transport.

Pro voucher can only be purchased by a half-taster (official ID required).

Sales period: 01.07. Until 15.08.2017

Do you know different?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 6:19:51 #867024

Hi Wembley,

Are you looking at this map? You should be able to use the legend to see which routes are valid for the different pass durations.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 14:44:49 #867025

Every way I looked at it, the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberlandwas the winner, the cost was only slightly more (we had the Swiss Half Fare Card too which gave us a 25% discount on the BO Pass) and it covered pretty much everything that could be covered in the area. Plus it could get us to Bern, Luzern and most of the way to Montreux. Getting the half fare card worked well for us since we had a few extra days without the Pass. Have fun.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 16:16:08 #867026

yes but the map is black and white when you click on it.

cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 16:32:47 #867027

RockOyster:

Yes but it is being widely reported that the SBB stations do not check for TCS membership and you can purchase with any ID card (does not say it has to be Swiss) just says with ID you can purchase.

Also in your translation, it says “you can travel to Switzerland on favorable terms”. Again does not suggest you have to be a swiss national and numerous reports of using passport at SBB ticket station have worked.

You do need to have the voucher to get the promotion though.

We’ll try and do expect it will work with no issues.

cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 19:15:28 #867028

many thanks for the info, I will check it all out . Will it be possible to do all of the things I wish inside four days if I use the BO pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 10:16:34 #867029

Hi Wembley,

Being in black and white is ok, it is the lines you have to look at (solid or broken or with arrows). Sorry, the old description wasn’t removed right away :).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland Pass suitability’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.