Bernese Oberland Region fully open in early June?

Bernese Oberland Region fully open in early June?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Gooch
Gooch
25 posts
Jan 4, 2018 - 2:12 AM

I am planning a 2 week trip to Switzerland from June 2-17. I have planned for 3 nights in Wengen with an intent to allow sufficient time to cover Jungfrajoch, Schilthorn, Schynige Platte, Grindelwald First,etc. I believe the Lauterbrunnen valley itself should be snow free by then but not certain if the higher regions will still be closed due to snow. Hikes may not be possible but hopefully the cable cars and trains are operational. Should I stay with the 3 nights in Wengen or cut down on the time and spend it elsewhere?

Thanks

Gooch

rockoyster
rockoyster
3908 posts
expert
Jan 4, 2018 - 6:00 AM in reply to Gooch

Hi Gooch,

Don't cut down on your time in Wengen. With the program you outlined you won't get bored there.

Gooch
Gooch
25 posts
Jan 4, 2018 - 6:55 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks. My concern had more to do with the cable cars and trains being operational in early June because of there potentially still being snow at the higher levels. I know some like Schilthorn & Jungfraujoch are open round but how about the others?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3908 posts
expert
Jan 4, 2018 - 6:57 AM in reply to Gooch
Lucas
Lucas
8833 posts
expert &
Jan 4, 2018 - 10:14 AM in reply to Gooch

Yes, the lifts and trains should be open just fine by the time you are there. Snow will be there at the higher altitudes but the trails should slowly be starting to open. The later in June you arrive there the better.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Jan 4, 2018 - 11:17 PM in reply to Gooch

Hi Gooch-

Pick a trip by cableway - for example, Wengen to Männlichen, or . Grindelwald to Männlichen, or Grindelwald to First. Those are the main ones.

Look up that trip in the SBB timetable on a date when you will be there. If it is not running, you be told that nop connection can be found.

They tend to start running in late May, but weather is a determinant.

I'll humbly call on Rockoyster to rescue me again. He posted a link from Alpenrose in another thread with a lot of those opening dates...which I still forgot to bookmark.

You an also do an internet search for specific cableways.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
rockoyster
3908 posts
expert
Jan 5, 2018 - 1:54 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

I posted that link earlier. Sound advice on using the SBB timetable to check specific dates.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Jan 5, 2018 - 1:56 AM in reply to rockoyster

<<"I posted that link earlier. Sound advice on using the SBB timetable to check specific dates.">>

OOOPS!

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018