Bernese Oberland/Jungfraujoch while snowing?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2017 at 16:42:04 #813863

We depart for Zurich and Lucerne tomorrow (24 December). We hope to spend a day in the Bernese Oberland midweek. The current forecast is snow Tuesday, Wednesday and Thiursday, getting progressively colder. We are a couple in our late 60’s, mobile and healthy who enjoy walking but not committed hikers. With the snow, I am assuming that going all the way up to Jugenfraujoch may not be enjoyable, as there won’t be much visibility. What alternatives would you recommend? Should we plan to visit a village or 2 and if so which wouod you recommend? Or should we plan on visiting the Bernese Oberland some other trip? Thanks for any advice. Happy Holiday everyone!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2017 at 17:05:46 #873180

Hi susanl,

Its tough to say about visibility, check the webcams before you head up to see if it is indeed cloudy at the top or just in the valley below. https://www.jungfrau.c h/live/webcams/

If it doesn’t look good to you at the top, look at Wengen and Lauterbrunnen in the valley or perhaps further in Thun. There is a fair bit to do around Lucerne, so staying in the area is also an option, depending on how long you plan to be there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2017 at 21:03:48 #873181

Thanks, Lucas. We will be in Lucerne several daysand I’m sure we will find fun things to do there. I thought I’d plan our Obernese Alps trip for a time before the snow gets too heavy and before it reaches its coldest point. I will check out the villages andplan to send a day in the vallies, as I’m assuming snow in the Alps does not slow down the Swiss!

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    23 December 2017 at 23:53:28 #873182

In Luzern on a shoddy day for mountains, please consider a trip to the Swiss Museum of Transport. You can spend a full day in comfort and English among some fascinating exhibits, planetarium, and movies, have lunch, and not have to mortgage the house.

swiss transport museum luzern

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2017 at 0:13:53 #873183

Thank you for the interesting suggestion. We will check it out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2017 at 3:02:01 #873184

>> We hope to spend a day in the Bernese Oberland midweek. The current forecast is snow Tuesday, Wednesday and Thiursday, getting progressively colder. We are a couple in our late 60’s, mobile and healthy who enjoy walking but not committed hikers.

If you come from somewhere where you don’t experience snow in winter, walking around the villages of the Jungfrau Region could be a fun and charming experience, as long as you are suitably dressed.

I have been in Mürren in such conditions, and while fog prevented any views of the mountains, the village atmosphere was wonderful in my opinion, and I enjoyed the experience immensely. I have attached some photos.

>> With the snow, I am assuming that going all the way up to Jugenfraujoch may not be enjoyable, as there won’t be much visibility. What alternatives would you recommend?

Going up to the Jungfraujoch in snowy weather is still quite an experience if you are not used to that. However, it is hard to justify the expense. You could just go as far as Kleine Scheidegg. If the fog is quite dense, then it wouldn’t be worth it, but if the fog still permits some views, and it is a bit on the wild side, with snow blowing about, it can be quite a thrill.

>> Should we plan to visit a village or 2 and if so which wouod you recommend?

I would recommend Wengen and/or Mürren. You may not get any views, but the villages are so charming and look beautiful under snow. Lauterbrunnen is less charming when the views are obscured by fog.

>> Or should we plan on visiting the Bernese Oberland some other trip?

Yes, come back some time in early autumn, for a completely different experience. But if this will be your only winter experience in the Berner Oberland, I would say go for it! You can still have a wonderful experience. However, if you come from somewhere where you get snow in the winter, such an experience may not have the same charm for you!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2017 at 3:17:09 #873185

AlpenRose66, Many thanks! This is most helpful and encouraging (especially for my husband who is dubious about this part of our excursion).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2017 at 22:25:54 #873186

What beautiful photos Alpenrose! What time of year were they taken?

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 December 2017 at 23:50:05 #873187

Thanks Maggie! Those photos were taken on 2 January 2012. The snow was falling steadily for most of the day, and (as you can see) they had already had substantial falls of snow that Christmas. I love Switzerland in the snow!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland/Jungfraujoch while snowing?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.