Bernina Express St. Moritz to Lugano by train?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Kym007
Kym007
20 posts
Feb 22, 2018 - 10:41 AM

Hi everyone

I thought I read that this summer in 2018 the Bernina Express would train all the way to Lugano? Is this right?

Also when I reserve seats (we have swiss travel card) do I reserve from St Moritz (as that is where we are staying) as I couldn't see that as an option??

Thanks

Kym

Lucas
Lucas
9868 posts
expert &
Feb 22, 2018 - 6:16 PM in reply to Kym007

Hi Kym,

The Bernina Express technically takes you to Lugano yes (but it is a bus between Tirano and Lugano).

There is a Bernina Express train from St. Moritz in the summer, when are you going? If it isn't operating for you (check the timetable) you will need to catch a regional train to Pontresina and then board the Bernina Express there.

Kym007
Kym007
20 posts
Feb 22, 2018 - 10:20 PM

Hi Lucas

We intend to leave St Moritz on the 19th July 2018. I tried to reserve seats but St Mortiz wasn't an option??

rockoyster
rockoyster
4072 posts
expert
Feb 22, 2018 - 11:50 PM in reply to Kym007

You have to take a regular train from St Moritz in order to connect to the Bernina Express that runs from Chur to Tirano. You need to get to Pontresina in order to board the BEX. It departs Pontresina at 10:22.

You can make reservations at www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#cart up to 90 days from travel date.

Make a reservation from Pontresina to Tirano and a separate one from Tirano to Lugano. If you try to book from Pontresina to Lugano in one hit there is a quirk in the booking system which means you only get offered a regional train connection rather then the actual BEX. Strange but true. If you want to read the gory details read this thread www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/review-of-14-day-itinerary-rail-pass/page/2.

Last modified on Feb 22, 2018 - 11:54 PM by rockoyster
Kym007
Kym007
20 posts
Feb 23, 2018 - 2:36 AM

Thanks Rockoyster!

From Tirano to Lugano is that by train in the summer?

rockoyster
rockoyster
4072 posts
expert
Feb 23, 2018 - 2:44 AM in reply to Kym007

Sorry I didn’t specify but no it’s the Bernina Express Bus as Lucas mentioned. Unless you want to catch a train to Lugano via Milan. Bit of a long way round. 🤓

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018