Bernina Express St. Moritz to Lugano by train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 10:41:34 #814471

Hi everyone

I thought I read that this summer in 2018 the Bernina Express would train all the way to Lugano? Is this right?

Also when I reserve seats (we have swiss travel card) do I reserve from St Moritz (as that is where we are staying) as I couldn’t see that as an option??

Thanks

Kym

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 18:16:18 #877015

Hi Kym,

The Bernina Express technically takes you to Lugano yes (but it is a bus between Tirano and Lugano).

There is a Bernina Express train from St. Moritz in the summer, when are you going? If it isn’t operating for you (check the timetable) you will need to catch a regional train to Pontresina and then board the Bernina Express there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 22:20:42 #877016

Hi Lucas

We intend to leave St Moritz on the 19th July 2018. I tried to reserve seats but St Mortiz wasn’t an option??

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2018 at 23:50:02 #877017

You have to take a regular train from St Moritz in order to connect to the Bernina Express that runs from Chur to Tirano. You need to get to Pontresina in order to board the BEX. It departs Pontresina at 10:22.

You can make reservations at http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#cart up to 90 days from travel date.

Make a reservation from Pontresina to Tirano and a separate one from Tirano to Lugano. If you try to book from Pontresina to Lugano in one hit there is a quirk in the booking system which means you only get offered a regional train connection rather then the actual BEX. Strange but true. If you want to read the gory details read this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/review-of-14-day-itinerary-rail-pass/page/2.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2018 at 2:36:07 #877018

Thanks Rockoyster!

From Tirano to Lugano is that by train in the summer?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 February 2018 at 2:44:00 #877019

Sorry I didn’t specify but no it’s the Bernina Express Bus as Lucas mentioned. Unless you want to catch a train to Lugano via Milan. Bit of a long way round. 🤓

• The thread ‘Bernina Express St. Moritz to Lugano by train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.