Bernina Express to Tirano and connect to Pisa?

Bernina Express to Tirano and connect to Pisa?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Preethy
Preethy
31 posts
Mar 9, 2018 - 12:40 AM

Hello,

We are planning to take Bernina Express in the first week of May from Chur to Tirano. I believe the Bernina reaches Tirano at 12:49 PM. Is it possible for us to catch the next train in Tirano to Pisa at 1:08 PM with luggages? Thanks. Awaiting your reply!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3359 posts
expert
Mar 9, 2018 - 2:22 AM in reply to Preethy

I guess this covers my point on your other thread about how far you plan to travel into Italy.

Catching the 13:08 to Pisa should be no problem the Swiss and Italian stations are right alongside one another.

Preethy
Preethy
31 posts
Mar 9, 2018 - 2:26 AM in reply to rockoyster

Oh! The station for Swiss and Italian trains are altogether different? Yes! We can stay on 5th night and catch the train on 6th. We are going to Milan only. I would prefer anything as my hotel bookings are flexible. So you would prefer Gotthard panaromic express instead of bernina express in case we are going to Milan?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3359 posts
expert
Mar 9, 2018 - 2:29 AM in reply to Preethy

I just provide the information and the options. You get to make the tough decisions! 🤓

Preethy
Preethy
31 posts
Mar 9, 2018 - 2:34 AM in reply to rockoyster

Got it. I understood that you suggest Gotthard panaromic express instead of Bernina if our destination is Milan. Am I right?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3359 posts
expert
Mar 9, 2018 - 4:43 AM in reply to Preethy

Hi Preethy,

Not really. I was just saying that if you wanted an extra night in Lucerne then you could take the Gotthard Panorama the next day if you were only going as far as Milan. By that I meant if you were going further than Milan (eg Pisa) then the timing might not be practical.

As I said there are many options. You need to work out which appeals more to you and which has the travel times that you can tolerate.

And just to add to the confusion there is another option. After you visit Titlis you could catch a train Lucerne to Göschenen. Then a train to Andermatt and then to Chur on regional trains on the Glacier Express route. Next day take Bernina Express to Tirano or to Lugano and then on to Milan by train from either of those places. From Tirano to Lugano is the Bernina Express Bus.

Preethy
Preethy
31 posts
Mar 9, 2018 - 4:46 AM in reply to rockoyster

Wow! Thanks. That's interesting.

Preethy
Preethy
31 posts
Mar 9, 2018 - 5:49 AM in reply to Preethy

Usually will Bernina express runs on time? Even a minor delay will affect our entire schedule.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3359 posts
expert
Mar 9, 2018 - 6:35 AM in reply to Preethy

It’s a Swiss train. You’ve heard the expression “runs like clockwork”? The Swiss invented it to describe their railways.

Preethy
Preethy
31 posts
Mar 9, 2018 - 7:20 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks! Can you pls send me Bernina express timetable for 6th May?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3359 posts
expert
Mar 9, 2018 - 8:38 AM in reply to Preethy
rockoyster
rockoyster
3359 posts
expert
Mar 9, 2018 - 9:39 PM in reply to Preethy

Hi Preethy,

Don’t forget if you plan to use ANY of the Express trains we have discussed you need to make reservations. For the Bernina you can use the same site which I linked to the timetable.

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2119 posts
top member
Mar 10, 2018 - 5:25 AM in reply to Preethy

>> The station for Swiss and Italian trains are altogether different?

Yes, but adjacent. See attached screenshot from Google Street View. The white building on the right is the station into which the Bernina Express will arrive. The yellow building is the station for trains travelling further into Italy.

Alpenrose

Please login to see the attached documents

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018