Taking the Bernina Express within Switzerland only

• Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    25 June 2018 at 2:16:40 #816876

I will be in St.Moritz for 3 days and wish to travel by Bernina Express but I will not be having a Italy visa, how can I travel by Bernina express and from st.moritz to which station.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 6:25:30 #889371

So you don’t have a Schengen visa?

The border between Switzerland and Italy is just after the station Campocologno when travelling towards Tirano. If you were on a regional train that stopped at Campocologno, you could get off there, but the Bernina Express doesn’t stop there.

So if you are on the Bernina Express, you would have to get off at Le Prese, which is the last station at which the Bernina Express stops before Tirano. It’s a popular and attractive town on the Lago di Poschiavo (Lake Poschiavo).

The advantage of taking a regional train is that you could go a bit further and get to see the Brusio circular viaduct, between Le Prese and Campocologno.

Perhaps you could consider taking a regional train to Campocologno so you can see the Brusio circular viaduct, then take a regional train back to one of the stations at which the Bernina Express stops, and take the Bernina Express for the rest of the way back to St Moritz.

You can use the Swiss Timetable to see if you could make this work.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Taking the Bernina Express within Switzerland only’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.