Bernina Express day trip from Lecco, Italy

• Mulla
    Participant
    3 posts
    12 August 2018 at 11:37:11 #817834

We will be staying in Lecco Italy in October and would like to travel the Bernina Express from Tirano to St.Moritz and return in the one day. We would like to travel on or around 23rd October? Is this possible? I have tried using the timetable to search for the trip but no results come up.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2018 at 18:18:51 #894043

Hi Mulla and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I am not sure why you couldn’t find the needed connections on the timetable

You could just about do it in one day – but a long one!

The first Bernina Express train to leave Tirano is at 10:06 on Oct.23.
    You can catch a train from Lecco at 08:02 to arrive at 09:52.

You arrive at Chur at 14:52 and then turn around from chur and make the 5/6 hour trip back…..

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Mulla
    Participant
    3 posts
    12 August 2018 at 23:08:00 #894044

Hi Lucas,

Thanks so much for the response. That is great news! We really love the idea of travelling the Swiss Alps in the Bernina Express. Unfortunately the timetable link still does not give the details proposed. However I have just checked the Bernina Express website (Rhaetian Railway) and it is all there. Going to Chur is too far in one day; our plan would be to stop in St. Moritz for a couple of hours and then return to Lecco in the late afternoon. Just another question if I may; can we use our Eurail Pass on the Bernina Express?

Thanks again for your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2018 at 6:56:21 #894045

Yes,

Both the Eurail Select Pass and Eurail Global Pass covers the ticket on the Bernina Express route.

Everyone must also make seat reservations as well though (regardless of the rail pass or ticket you have).

You can make reservations here: http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/packages

Mulla
    Participant
    3 posts
    13 August 2018 at 7:20:47 #894046

Fantastic thanks again for the advice Lucas. It is greatly appreciated.

We will book this very shortly and are looking forward to it immensely.

Kind regards,

• The thread ‘Bernina Express day trip from Lecco, Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.