Bernina Express always stops at St Moritz?

• Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    6 November 2017 at 4:53:20 #813622

Hello once again all,

My trip is getting closer by the month and April is the target.

I noticed in a much earlier post from Rockoyster concerning the Bernina Express…….

“Aug 20, 2017 – 9:39 PM in reply to patsy1” that the BEX was not stopping at StMoritz. I understood all BEX trains form Tirano stopped at this town. I have accommodation booked here with the idea of catching The Glacier Express to Zermatt next day.

Regards Wallabybob

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 November 2017 at 6:18:38 #871600

G’day Bob,

The 10:06 from Tirano (I assume you are still planning to start from there) goes to St Moritz.

The 14:25 from Tirano goes through to Chur. To get to St Moritz you have to change trains at Pontresina.

Check timetable here http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info

If you are starting at Lugano then you’ll be on the 14:25 from Tirano.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2017 at 7:04:54 #871601

>> Aug 20, 2017 – 9:39 PM in reply to patsy1″ that the BEX was not stopping at StMoritz. I understood all BEX trains form Tirano stopped at this town. I have accommodation booked here with the idea of catching The Glacier Express to Zermatt next day.

No, all Bernina Express services don’t stop in St Moritz. Bernina Express services from Tirano go direct either to St Moritz, Chur (bypassing St Moritz), or Davos (only between May and October), depending on which departure time you choose. The timetable varies according to the time of the year, and in April the winter timetable will still be in force, with more limited services than in summer.

If there are no direct Bernina Express services to St Moritz on your date of travel, you simply take a Bernina Express heading to Chur, and change at Pontresina (probably to a bus, for a short 10-minute ride into St Moritz).

As far as I can tell, direct services Tirano-St Moritz in April 2018 are only operating on the Easter weekend (31 Mar-2 Apr) and 25 Apr to 1 May. Daily direct services don’t kick in until 10 May.

You can use the Swiss Timetable to see what options are available for your particular date of travel.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 November 2017 at 8:55:24 #871602

Damn! I missed that little (a) note. Just as well some of us are on the ball. But I suspect Bob is on the Tirano to Chur departing 14:25.

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    7 November 2017 at 5:36:46 #871603

No Rockoyster, Milan to Tirano and then to StMoritz.

How’s Tassie old Son

Bob

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 November 2017 at 5:48:33 #871604

Bonzer, Cobber!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 November 2017 at 19:30:40 #871605

G’day Bob,

Here’s an alternative to the BEX for direct Tirano to St. Moritz. The Bernina Panorama – hourly regular trains with bookable panorama cars. No glossy brochures or commentary. See also this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/help-with-bernina-express-itinerary

• The thread ‘Bernina Express always stops at St Moritz?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.