Board Bernina Express in St. Moritz on December 23

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2019 at 1:23:10 #824228

Hi

I am travelling in Switzerland in Dec 2019 with my family. On the 23rd of December we will be in St. Moritz.

We want to take the Bernina Express to Tirano. I am aware that the “real” Bernina Express” does not operate in this period, but the “winter panorama” runs as a carriage on the back on the “normal” trains.

Using the website http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-panorama-winter, it does not allow me to book from St. Moritz. Only from Chur.

Does any one know if I can board at St. Moritz? Say book from Chur to Tirano, but board at St. Moritz.

I have called the Railway, but they just cannot answer my direct question.

They just say website has “IT issue”.

Thank you to anyone that can help. 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2019 at 7:49:29 #923811

Hello MalcomD,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, you can board at St. Moritz station.

I will attach the link for the Bernina Express.

I would recommend downloading the train timetable on your phone so you have real time info at your finger tips. The app is called: SBB

I wish you and your family a wonderful time in Switzerland!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 October 2019 at 8:12:35 #923812

Hi MalcolmD!

Yes, you can surely board the panoramic cars in St. Moritz. I’m not sure what happened at the RhB website. It may have been a temporary glitch that’s now solved, as I see several options for St. Moritz-Tirano on December 23. You can go to the page you linked to, click the red “Buy button” and enter St. Moritz to Tirano and your preferred travel date. You should then see 4 options, with departures ranging from 08.48 to 15.48.

Alternatively, you can use the options listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/packages, such as this one: https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/passholder-fares-bernina-express.

I hope one of those options works for you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2019 at 23:39:44 #923813

All is not lost of you can’t book on the Panorama carriage. The normal trains have large windows so you would see the same views generally speaking

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2019 at 2:22:57 #923814

HI Suzanne / Annika / 1960man

Thank you all for your replies and help. It is a great site. It really helps a lot of people and gives people a chance to celebrate Switzerland.

The rail website was experiencing technical issues for several days. I have final booked my tickets. A lot of relief knowing it is now sorted!

Thank you for the recommendation of the mobile app. I have downloaded it and we will certainly use.

Cheers

Malcolm

• The thread ‘Board Bernina Express in St. Moritz on December 23’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.