Board Bernina Express in St. Moritz on December 23

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
MalcolmD
MalcolmD
2 posts
Oct 17, 2019 - 1:23 AM

Hi

I am travelling in Switzerland in Dec 2019 with my family. On the 23rd of December we will be in St. Moritz.

We want to take the Bernina Express to Tirano. I am aware that the "real" Bernina Express" does not operate in this period, but the "winter panorama" runs as a carriage on the back on the "normal" trains.

Using the website www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-panorama-winter, it does not allow me to book from St. Moritz. Only from Chur.

Does any one know if I can board at St. Moritz? Say book from Chur to Tirano, but board at St. Moritz.

I have called the Railway, but they just cannot answer my direct question.

They just say website has "IT issue".

Thank you to anyone that can help. :)

Suzanne
Suzanne
152 posts
active member &
Oct 17, 2019 - 7:49 AM

Hello MalcomD,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, you can board at St. Moritz station.

I will attach the link for the Bernina Express.

I would recommend downloading the train timetable on your phone so you have real time info at your finger tips. The app is called: SBB

I wish you and your family a wonderful time in Switzerland!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Last modified on Oct 17, 2019 - 8:02 AM by Annika
Annika
Annika
6101 posts
expert &
Oct 17, 2019 - 8:12 AM in reply to MalcolmD

Hi MalcolmD!

Yes, you can surely board the panoramic cars in St. Moritz. I'm not sure what happened at the RhB website. It may have been a temporary glitch that's now solved, as I see several options for St. Moritz-Tirano on December 23. You can go to the page you linked to, click the red "Buy button" and enter St. Moritz to Tirano and your preferred travel date. You should then see 4 options, with departures ranging from 08.48 to 15.48.

Alternatively, you can use the options listed at www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/packages, such as this one: https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/passholder-fares-bernina-express.

I hope one of those options works for you!

1960man
1960man
2257 posts
top member
Oct 17, 2019 - 11:39 PM

All is not lost of you can't book on the Panorama carriage. The normal trains have large windows so you would see the same views generally speaking

MalcolmD
MalcolmD
2 posts
Oct 20, 2019 - 2:22 AM in reply to Suzanne

HI Suzanne / Annika / 1960man

Thank you all for your replies and help. It is a great site. It really helps a lot of people and gives people a chance to celebrate Switzerland.

The rail website was experiencing technical issues for several days. I have final booked my tickets. A lot of relief knowing it is now sorted!

Thank you for the recommendation of the mobile app. I have downloaded it and we will certainly use.

Cheers

Malcolm

Last modified on Oct 20, 2019 - 2:24 AM by MalcolmD

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

Black Friday deals for Switzerland

Take advantage of the Black Friday 2019 deals! There are some very good discounts for travelers to Switzerland.
More information

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019