Bernina Express bus booking

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 2:56:08 #811608

How far in advance do I need to book 2 seats on the bus leg of the Bernina Express? (Lugano to Tirano). Also do I need to have my Swiss Rail Pass to book these seats? I haven’t purchased my pass yet.

Kris Eyre

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 8:01:47 #862495

I would book the tickets as soon as my schedule is confirmed. You do not need to have a Swiss rail pass (are you talking specifically about the Swiss Travel Pass?) before booking the reservations.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 9:27:18 #862496

Thanks for your response and link to reservations . Yes I will puchase a Swiss rail Flexi pass when we get to Zurich. Not sure in how many days to purchase for, so I would like to speak to someone when we get there. We have 25 days in Switzerland, commencing 28 June.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 10:03:35 #862497

Thanks Lucas. Yes the Swiss Rail Flexi Pass. I will purchase it when we arrive in Zurich as I would like to talk to someone about it. We are in Switzerland for 25 days. Thanks for the link to reservations.

Kris

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 April 2017 at 19:33:07 #862498

Hi Kris,

I’m not sure if you are aware of this, but note that the Swiss Travel Pass Flex does not offer any discounts or other privileges on the non-travel days. Also the Swiss Travel Pass Flex is more expensive per travel day than the Swiss Travel Pass. Of course this does fit some itineraries, but in many cases people want to make day trips by trains/boats/cableways every day, and paying full prices adds up quickly. If this applies to you as well, please see “Alternatives if you stay longer than 15 days” on myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/details.

The Swiss Travel Pass Flex can be purchased online (slightly cheaper than in buying in Switzerland) and delivered to Australia for free through http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /swiss-travel-pass-flex. Unlike the Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Half Fare Card, it can’t be printed at home.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 7:12:17 #862499

Hi Arno

Does this mean I cannot get free travel on boats or busses unless I have used my Swiss rail pass on the same day?

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 May 2017 at 7:42:20 #862500

Hi Kris,

Yes, indeed. You either use the pass or not use the pass on a particular day. Please see myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpassflex/howtouse for details.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express bus booking’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.