Bernina Express cheapest fare

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2016 at 12:56:25 #810158

I am travelling route form Chur to Tirano in October. I don’t mind if I use local train or Bernina express if they are the same route. But finding the cheapest price to be 180Chf for two people from Zurich to Chur to Tirano. Is this the cheapest it will be? Or does anyone know of a cheaper way of booking, any advice gratefully received!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    26 September 2016 at 13:13:00 #856216

Hi Sandyd, welcome to MySwissAlps!

That’s indeed the regular price for a single trip for two people. A return trip would be double that amount. There might be Super saver tickets available, but keep in mind that these tickets restrict you to specific trains (so no breaks allowed), and are not refundable. Will this be your only trip in Switzerland? If not, a rail pass may save you money. With Swiss Half Fare Cards, for example, tickets are 50% cheaper, without any restrictions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2016 at 14:15:08 #856217

Thank you Arno. It is our only travel in Switzerland (other than airport train to Zurich, and Zurich to Chur). I’ll have a look at the Swiss half fare card, thank you. I am happy to go on the local regional train, I thought you could stop off on those, and had thought of doing so at Poschiavo for a short while.

Arno
    15481 posts
    26 September 2016 at 14:32:10 #856218

You’re welcome Sandyd! As this is your only trip you don’t need to look into the Swiss Half Fare Card. It costs CHF 120 p.p. so it does not make sense to buy that to save 50% of CHF 90 p.p. A regular ticket is the best option, and it will allow you to get off the train for a break. Not taking the Bernina Express saves you the reservation fee (I think CHF 14 p.p.).

Enjoy the ride!

• The thread ‘Bernina Express cheapest fare’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.