Bernina Express Tirano to Chur in the morning

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2016 at 17:41:24 #808741

Is it possible to book the panoramic Bernina Express traveling FROM Tirano TO Chur in the month of May during the morning hours? Or is this only available in the afternoon? Very confused on what I should book? Looks like morning departure makes lots of stops and afternoon departure does not?? Not even sure if morning departure is the panoramic train all the way to Chur??

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15479 posts
    29 March 2016 at 7:06:27 #849971

Hello kdkwood, welcome to MySwissAlps!

In the morning there’s only the 10.03 Bernina Express to St. Moritz. So you can take that one and switch trains in Pontresina or St. Moritz, or you can take any local train. Please see the timetable for all details.

All trains are free with the Swiss Travel Pass, no tickets required.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2016 at 15:48:12 #849972

Ok thank you! A few more questions now. So if I change trains in St.Moritz and want to go on the Abula line /Unesco Heritage route to get to Chur, do I just need to make sure I am booked on a regular train that goes through the town of Thusis? Or is there a BEX train that continues on this route?

Ultimate goal is to leave from Tirano in morning and see the beautiful scenery by train and then somehow end up in Bern for the same night. It seemed like Chur would be the best town to end our scenery portion in and then connect to Bern from there. If there is a better way to do all of this, I would greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!

Arno
    15479 posts
    29 March 2016 at 16:40:17 #849973

You’re welcome! You can best enter “Tirano to Bern” in the timetable I linked to in my previous post. Then, when it displays the options, enter “Chur” in the via-box. That will get you a list with all options for the route you have in mind, with a change in either St. Moritz or Pontresina and Samedan.

If you have two days, you could spend the night in Chur and take the Glacier Express to Brig the next day, and change for Bern there.

Before you book trains, make sure to have a list of all your travel plans in Switzerland and check if a pass is the better option. By the way, “booking trains” is only relevant to the few special tourist trains like the Bernina Express. That’s when you book a seat. People do not book all the other trains in advance. You either travel with a ticket from A to B for the day (valid in any train on the A to B route), or you travel with pass so you don’t need a ticket at all. A pass is more economical in most cases.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express Tirano to Chur in the morning’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.