Bernina Express day trip help required

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2015 at 12:21:13 #806869

Hello there

We are honeymooning in Milan in April and we would love to take a day trip to St Moritz on the Bernina Express but would prefer to organise it ourselves rather than go with a tour operator. I can see it is quite easy to get to Tirano (to pick up the Bernina Express) from Milan Central via a local train which runs every two hours but all the connections apart from 1 say R BUS by them. Sorry to be thick but can I claify that this means that the journey will be by road not rail? or am I being daft here. If this is the case then it would seem that there is only one train per day at that time of year and an organised trip is the only way. The problem with the organised trip is that it gives you very little time in St Moritz and you come back by coach instead of train again – also there is no option to travel 1st class on the organised trip. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mags

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 February 2015 at 8:43:04 #841714

Hi Mags,

You don’t need a tour operator for this. There are plenty of trains. All you need is a ticket or a rail pass.

So you see bus connections between Milan and Tirano? Which date and time are you trying, and where did you check this? All I see in the timetable is trains, trying a few random dates in April.

If you can spend one night somewhere, you can see a lot more of Switzerland. Tirano to St. Moritz is just half of the Bernina Express route. The official Bernina Express train runs all the way from Tirano to Chur. This topic is about a similar question and interesting for you to read I think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2015 at 20:45:31 #841715

Hi There

Thanks so much for getting back to me – I have pasted
    below a bit of the timetable I have been looking at – just wondered what
    the word BUS meant. Presumably the train each hour is not as good as
    the Bernina Express?

Tirano

To

St. Moritz

R, BUS

Dep.
    09:40

To 12:16

Tues, 28.04.15

02:36

1st class
    (verfügbar: 28)

2nd class
    (verfügbar: 35)

from
    62.00 CHF

Toggle
    details

Tirano

To

St. Moritz

Bernina
    Express, BUS

Dep.
    15:00

To 17:16

Tues, 28.04.15

02:16

1st class
    (verfügbar: 28)

2nd class
    (verfügbar: 26)

from
    72.00 CHF

Margaret

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 February 2015 at 12:16:21 #841716

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for that, now I see what confuses you. If you look at the details of those connections, you will see that it’s just the last 10 minutes of the trip, between Pontresina and St. Moritz, which is a bus service. The timetable suggests that because it takes a while before the next train to St. Moritz departs, so it suggests the bus to get there quicker. You can wait for the train too if you prefer that, but there’s no major difference as it’s just a 10 minute ride. If you click “advanced search” in the timetable, you can exclude buses as a mode of transport if you like.

The Bernina Express is more luxurious than the regular trains, but both are fine.

I hope this clarifies the bus mystery!

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2015 at 15:59:50 #841717

Thank you so much Arno that is a great help

Mags

• The thread ‘Bernina Express day trip help required’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.