Bernina Express different start/end points

Bernina Express different start/end points

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Poemsbymiria
Poemsbymiria
4 posts
Jul 1, 2018 - 4:03 AM

Can I take the Bernina express from st Moritz but end up in Zurich or Lucerne after the stop in Italy? Or must I go roundtrip to the same location? Also. Is there room for luggage on the train

rockoyster
rockoyster
3725 posts
expert
Jul 1, 2018 - 7:01 AM in reply to Poemsbymiria

Hello Poemsbymiria and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can do a variety of things.

You could go to Tirano and then return to Zurich on regular trains over pretty much the same route.

You could continue from Tirano to Lugano on the Bernina Express Bus and then get a train from Lugano to Luzern or Zurich.

Yes there is room for luggage on the train. The Bernina Express (www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress) train and bus both require reservations. Regular trains don't

Poemsbymiria
Poemsbymiria
4 posts
Jul 1, 2018 - 7:53 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks Would I be missing out if I don't do the round trip back to St Moritz? Or is the ride tirano the nicest part? If I go from tirano to lucerbe then I could mount Pilatus we the the ferry and cog rail before I leave Switzerland

Any thoughts on that?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3725 posts
expert
Jul 1, 2018 - 8:01 AM in reply to Poemsbymiria

The Bernina Express is not normally viewed as a round trip. People genarally start at one end and go to the other. Maybe have a look at the timetables at www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info.

Read about visiting Pilatus from Lucerne at www.myswissalps.com/pi latus.

Maybe you could give us an idea of what your overall itinerary looks like. It's a bit tricky answering questions in isolation without seeing the full picture.

Poemsbymiria
Poemsbymiria
4 posts
Jul 1, 2018 - 6:42 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks again

I will be in St Moritz Sunday and Monday I am flying out of Zurich on Monday night. I.can stay in Lucerne or Zurich Sunday night instead of st moritz if that helps. On Sunday, I.think I would .like to go.on the Bernina express but I don't know if it's nice to board in chur than in St Moritz. Then on Monday I.wanted to.do.the train/boat combination to mount Pilatus but I.dont know how. to plan it. so my question is - where do I board the Bernina express on Sunday for.the nicest trip. And then from Tirano , (?) should.i somehow get to Lucerne for Sunday night ? How would I.do that? We are a young middle aged couple and we want to see some of the nicest spots in a short time. Thanks !

rockoyster
rockoyster
3725 posts
expert
Jul 1, 2018 - 8:01 PM in reply to Poemsbymiria

I don’t know how you are getting to St Moritz but am guessing you will have already covered the Chur to St Moritz part of the BEX route.

If it was me I would want to be in Lucerne on Sunday night so I could enjoy Pilatus the next day.

Poemsbymiria
Poemsbymiria
4 posts
Jul 1, 2018 - 8:30 PM

I agree that I ought to get to Lucerne for Sunday night. I am traveling to st Moritz from Zurich. Do you know how I would get from tirano to Lucerne? Do I first got to lugano? Which is the smartest way to plan to travel to Lucerne after traveling the Bernina express

rockoyster
rockoyster
3725 posts
expert
Jul 1, 2018 - 8:39 PM in reply to Poemsbymiria

You really only have two choices. See www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/permalink/hu CLt6DW9mqS6v8AAFcRTQ.

Use the SBB Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to figure out how long each will take. I don’t know your tolerance level to long travel days.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018