Bernina Express from Lucerne or Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2017 at 3:49:57 #813413

Hi,

If I’m staying in Lucerne and Interlaken but I wish to take the Bernina Express. Do you think it is possible? Because when I check the SBB train from Lucerne to Chur it will take about two hours. The Bernina Express trip will be about 4hrs.

Then if I need to make a return trip to Lucerne it seems I will waste on the train trips. Will it worth the long hours train trip to catch Bernina Express. I do have Swiss Travel Pass

What’s your advice?

Any panoramic trains that you can recommend?

Your help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Jana

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2017 at 11:48:48 #870483

Yes, as you note, it would be a long day to try and do the Bernina Express from Lucerne or Interlaken (and back). I’m not sure I would try and do that but everyone has different priorities!

The SBB timetable here can help you plan any trips you want to do.

Another Panoramic train that may interest you (and starts in Lucerne) is the Golden Pass line that you can take all the way to Montreux (there are a couple train changes on this route, it isn’t one train the whole way like the Bernina Express). The panoramic train runs between Zweisimmen and Montreux only (but the train from Lucerne to Interlaken has larger windows similar to panoramics.

If you are traveling soon you can take the Gotthard Panoramic Express which starts with a boat trip on Lake Luzern followed by a panoramic train from Fluelen on to Lugano or Bellinzona. Its season ends Oct.22.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 8:21:49 #870484

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for advice.

I have checked Gotthard Panoramic Express and note we need to reserve the seat with fee of CHF24.

is the scenery at Lugano better than Montreux? Because when I checked SBB website. There is a train to Lugano for 1hr59mins. If there are more things to do in Lugano and better sceneries, I will then go to Lugano instead of Montreux.

Otherwise when I am at Interlaken I will train to Montreux and will visit the castle. Back to Interlaken will catch the Golden Pass Line at 15.44 from Montreux via Zweisimmen.

looking forward to your advice

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 8:52:14 #870485

Both towns have great scenery I think – really a matter of personal taste!

I haven’t been to Lugano, but have been to Montreux and there are some good activities you can do in the area.

See the Lugano tourism site for an idea of what to expect there.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 October 2017 at 9:27:33 #870486

If you mean by “There is a train to Lugano for 1hr59mins” from Luzern to Lugano then that is the route via the Gotthard Base Tunnel on which you will spend 57Km underground with no views. It is NOT the Gotthard Panorama Express Route which goes via Göschenen and includes a 3 hour steamer trip from Luzern to Fluelen. Lugano is somewhere to go in summer I would say.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 7:20:55 #870487

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your assistance. Appreciate it

I will consider Montreux then. I will then go to Montreux for Chateau de Chillon. From Montreux, I will take bus 201 to Vevey and will take the funicular up to the vineyards.

Hope it get it right.

Hi Rockoyster,

Yes I am aware it is not the Gotthard Panorama Express but I did not that it will be mostly under tunnel without a view.Thank you for highlighting it to me.

I will just go for Montreux then

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 15:47:20 #870488

Hi Norjana,

The SBB railways timetable will give you the correct details for using public transport anywhere in Switzerland.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Bernina Express from Lucerne or Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.