Bernina Express from Lugano & back in 1 day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 15:27:08 #813142

I wish to take bernina express from lugano on 14th sept and wish to come back to lugano same day.How best can I plan the trip?If time is an issue is there a possibility that I take return journey by regular train rather than bernina express?

How latest can I make reservation for this route?I am still waiting for confirmation of leave from office and will know only by 9th sept.So if I make reservation by 10th will I still be able to travel on 14th on this train?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 17:10:51 #869272

Hi pooja64,

Yes, you would need to take a regional train back – use the timetable here to plan out your trip. You won’t arrive in Chur until about 18:00. So this will be a very long day for you. This train does sell out frequently so I would make reservations as soon as you know you can go.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2017 at 15:31:13 #869273

Thanks Lucas.It appears that Lugano to Tirano is a bus journey and onward journey to St.Moritz to Davos to Chur is a train journey.Right?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 1:53:51 #869274

>> It appears that Lugano to Tirano is a bus journey

Yes. It operates only once per day, leaving Lugano at 10:00, arriving Tirano at 13:00.

>> and onward journey to St.Moritz to Davos to Chur is a train journey.Right?

Yes, it is a train, but the route is not Tirano – St. Moritz – Davos – Chur.

The direct Bernina Express goes from Tirano to either

Chur (once per day) or

St Moritz (twice per day) or

Davos (once per day)

If you get the Bernina Express to St. Moritz or Davos, and you want to go to Chur, you will need to continue your trip on regional trains. Regional trains don’t have panoramic windows, and don’t require reservations.

Taking the Bernina Express bus from Lugano gets you to Tirano at 13:00:

> To get the Bernina Express direct from Tirano to Chur, you will need to wait until 14:26.

> If you prefer to leave earlier, you could take the 14:03 Bernina Express to St Moritz, and continue to Chur on regional trains. To get this option, put “via St. Moritz” into your timetable search for the trip from Tirano to Chur. The route from St Moritz to Chur on regional trains is essentially the same route as the Bernina Express follows.

> If you want the fastest trip from Tirano to Chur after arriving at 13:00, you will need to use regional trains. There is a regional train leaving at 13:40, and you would change trains at Pontresina and Samedan on your way to Chur.

If you want to get back to Lugano the same day, use the timetable to find connections “from Lugano” “to Lugano” “via Tirano” and “via Chur”. If you don’t want to pay extra, avoid the routes through Monza, where your Swiss Travel Pass is not valid (because it is in Italy).

Bernina Express trains are shown in the timetable by the letters “BEX”.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 September 2017 at 2:50:20 #869275

Hello pooja64,

You asked “I wish to take bernina express from lugano on 14th sept and wish to come back to lugano same day. How best can I plan the trip?” But the subject of your post reverses that question to “Bernina Express to and from Lugano in 1 day“. Let’s assume you are in Lugano and want to go on the BEX.

If you were to catch the BEX Bus from Lugano and then continue on the first BEX train just as far as St Moritz you wouldn’t get back to Lugano until after 9.00pm at night by the fastest route. That’s a very long travel day.

The BEX Bus from Lugano follows a quite scenic route along the shores of Lake Lugano and Lake Como for about half the trip of a little over three hours. Once you leave Lake Como I have to say it is a bit boring.

I note from your other posts that you are arriving in Zurich. Which is a much better jumping off or finishing point to experience the Bernina Express then Lugano. You can easily get from Zurich to Chur to pick up the Bernina Express. But based on your flight arrival time you wouldn’t be able to catch the BEX which goes all the way from Chur to Lugano.

Without know what your overall itinerary or the sequence in which you are going to visit various locations is it is a little difficult to offer specific advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 7:41:16 #869276

Sorry Rockoyster, that was my title edit. I changed to clear it up. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 16:04:16 #869277

Hi Lucas/Rockoyster/Alpenrose,

I got my swiss pass today but passport number written is wrong.I am not sure now if it was a mistake from my side or issuing authority.I have emailed happyrail team but not sure if it can be rectified this way.I attached my passport copy for confirmation of passport number by happyrail team.Do you think it will be rectified?I am leaving after 28 hours…and apprehensive now..:(

Do you think I can continue with booking train journeys with the reference number I have for swiss travel pass?I want to travel on bernina on 14th sept .I am stuck with reservations.I am trying to book bernina express from lugano to chur.Lugano to Tirano is bus journey.How and where do I select train or bus,”from” and “to”?When I am trying to book it does not ask for train or bus,or timing to choose from or does not show seating arrangement.How to make sure I get an assigned seat?Preferably on right side as is suggested.

Similarly I am trying to book Gotthard express on 15th sept.It shows From to Fluelen but not whole route of Lugano to Luzern.Where to insert these requests and also timings for both the trains,bernina and Gotthard.

Too less time left and I am stuck.Pls help.Step by step if you don’t mind.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 16:09:17 #869278

One more question.Do I need to write my swiss travel pass reference number while booking a seat on these trains?I dont see any place where I can insert this number…:(

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 22:44:53 #869279

Hi Pooja64,

You will have to wait for Happyrail to get back to you to see if they can re-issue a Swiss Travel Pass. It may not be a huge deal in the end if the numbers don’t match – they will let you know.

You do not need your Swiss Travel Pass to make any train reservations – so no worries there, just go ahead and make reservations – just select that you do have a Swiss Travel Pass so you aren’t charged for a ticket and only the reservation.

What website are you trying to make the reservations on? I would recommend either with Happyrail here or directly on the Bernina Express Website.

You can’t reserve between Luzern and Fluelen as that is by boat and boats can’t be reserved – don’t worry there is no need to reserve the boat.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 September 2017 at 22:47:07 #869280

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the incorrect passport number as long as the name on the Swiss Travel Pass matches your passport. Take a copy of the email you sent to Happy Rail as backup evidence.

No there is no requirement to “write my swiss travel pass reference number while booking a seat”. You only need to show your Pass on the train/bus/boat.

You can book Bernina Bus and Train at http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#timetable.

You can only reserve Gotthard Panorama between Lugano and Flüelen. No reservation possible on the steamer. Just board with your STP. See Bookings at http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/panorama-trips/travelling-gotthard-panorama-express.html

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 September 2017 at 23:01:05 #869281

Bernina Express bus Tirano to Lugano is already booked out on 14th :-(.

Your questions had me confused but I’ve assumed you wanted to go Chur – Tirano- Lugano – Luzern.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 23:30:32 #869282

Thanks Lucas and Rockoyster.

I want to take Bernina on 14th lugano to Tirano by bus and then to chur by train.Correct me if I am wrong about the route.So what alternative option do you suggest I can do since bus from lugano to Tirano is already booked on 14th sept?

No option of choosing time while making reservations…is it because only once a day train?so if I reserve is it assumed that it’s for that route only?

No choice of seat too? Again is it so that you reserve for a train for a particular date and take whatever seat you can get in coach of your chosen class?

Pls do reply soon.Its a huge help for me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 23:36:21 #869283

I want to go from lugano to Luzern on 15th by gotthard panorama express.

Just a small question if lugano to Tirano bus is booked for 14th am I going to miss a nicer portion of journey? Problem is I don’t have any other day for Bernina express if not 14th..:( May be I can take a regular train lugano to Tirano (if it is available)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 1:29:03 #869284

I just booked Tirano to Chur with assigned seats and I am hoping to take a regular train from lugano to tirano.I can see the one suitable for me to catch Bernina train at Tirano departs Lugano at 9.18 am reaching Tirano at 12.52 hrs.It appears this train too I should have reservation and there does not appear to be an option of swiss travel pass in coupon/discount section…its costing me 39 CHF per person!(any suggestion how I can book through my STP).Earlier train option that does not require reservation will be too early ,departing lugano at 06.42 am!!Pls guide.

For Gotthard express booking at happyrail.com no seat allotment appears when I am making 2nd class reservation..any suggestion?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 September 2017 at 3:16:35 #869285

The train from Lugano to Tirano spends most of its time in Italy. The STP only covers you from Lugano to Chiasso (the Swiss/Italian border). It does not cover the Italian part. Use the “GA 2nd” reduction option for that part of your journey. It’s the domestic equivalent of the STP.

Can’t help with Happyrail. Never used it. You should be able to make reservations if you follow the booking instructions at http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/panorama-trips/travelling-gotthard-panorama-express.html which will lead you to http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/adw.do?sprache=en&artikelnumm er=1993

Look for Lugano to Luzern via Göschenen. You want the 11:11 departure. See attached.

Are you catching a 171 bus back from Chur to Lugano? If so you need a reservation on that as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 6:18:17 #869286

Chur to Lugano I will take a regular train departing from Chur at 18.39 hours reaching Lugano at 22.17 hours(via Zurich and Arth Goldau).I hope there is no reservation needed for this train.

For Tirano—You mean no reservation required from Lugano to Chiasso and “GA 2nd” to be used for Chiasso to Tirano ?The option I can see says “GA 2.cl,1 year/GA subscription…should I use this option?But is that the right choice for me?

Pls advise.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 September 2017 at 6:46:05 #869287

Q1. You mean no reservation required from Lugano to Chiasso and “GA 2nd” to be used for Chiasso to Tirano ?

A1. Reservation and ticket not required from Lugano to Chiasso as that part of your trip is covered by the STP. You will need to buy a ticket and probably reservation from Chiasso to Tirano. I’m not that familiar with Italian trains but I believe you can buy ticket and reservation through SBB ticket shop on-line.

Q2. The option I can see says “GA 2.cl,1 year/GA subscription…should I use this option?

A2. Yes, that’s the option you want to get the Lugano to Chiasso section for free. I was just going from memory. when I said “GA 2nd”.

Q3. But is that the right choice for me?

A3. Yes seeing the Bernina Express Bus is already booked out the train route you have picked to connect with your BEX booking appears to be the only option you have.

Q4. Chur to Lugano I will take a regular train departing from Chur at 18.39 hours reaching Lugano at 22.17 hours(via Zurich and Arth Goldau).I hope there is no reservation needed for this train.

A4. That will work and no reservations needed. There is a connection which includes an express bus between Thusis and Bellinzona but the timing of that may not suit you and the bus requires a reservation. Your are in for a long day of travel. You must have more stamina than I could muster! 😇

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 15:17:41 #869288

I have done chiasso to tirano reservation,with or without GA 2nd costed me for two people 58 francs.I am not sure if I could have been able to get discount but considering lack of time I just booked.

I must say that without help from the forum I would have been thoroughly tensed.Now I think I should be able to manage though not perfect as I could not get Lugano to tirano bus but its solely coz of delay from my side,unsure of leave until the last moment.

Jungfraujoch,Mt.Titlis,Pilatus and Mt.Rigi I think don’t need prior booking and will depend on the weather on those days ( correct me if I am wrong).I will plan those trips depending on weather.

Thanks a ton for all the support.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 15:54:08 #869289

Yes, exactly, no prior booking needed on those mountains (or any) and it is always best to go when the weather is clear!

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2017 at 20:05:05 #869290

Hi

I want to know about tissot first cliff walk in Grindelwald.I have one full day in Interlaken on 19th sept in which I m planning Jungfrau top.Heard from other tourists about the cliff walk.is it too scary? cost? ( I have 8 days swiss Travel pass consecutive)special precautions?How to reach?can I manage it with Jungfrau in one day?is it possible to do the cliff walk and then continue train journey to to Jungfrau top?

Thanks in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2017 at 6:23:37 #869291

Hi pooja,

>> I want to know about tissot first cliff walk in Grindelwald … Heard from other tourists about the cliff walk.is it too scary?

If you don’t have a problem with heights, it is exciting rather than scary. It is perfectly safe. The walkway has a metal-grille surface, which you can see through, and handrails. There is a slight decline at the start, then the rest is level, and there are no steps. You do have to duck a little to get round one or two rocky outcrops. It only takes about 10 minutes at a leisurely pace, and you can return the same way.

>> cost? ( I have 8 days swiss Travel pass consecutive)

The cliff walk is free. The bus in Grindelwald is free with the Swiss Travel Pass and you get 50% off the gondola from Grindelwald to First.

>> special precautions?

None.

>> How to reach?

Starting from Grindelwald railway station, walk up the main street (Dorfstrasse) for 10 minutes or so, or else get Bus #121, #123 or #128 to the bus stop called “Firstbahn” (second stop from the station). From the bus stop, cross the road and walk a short distance uphill along a lane between shops to the First gondola valley station.

The start of the cliff walk is adjacent to the restaurant terrace at the top station of the gondola. There are two mid-stations before you get to the top: Bort and Schreckfeld, but you can stay in the same gondola all the way.

>> can I manage it with Jungfrau in one day?is it possible to do the cliff walk and then continue train journey to to Jungfrau top?

Yes, but if I were you, I would go to the Jungfraujoch first if the weather is clear in the morning. If you leave it until the afternoon, you might find the clouds have rolled in and blocked out the views – so that will be the end of that!

I suggest you go up to Jungfraujoch in the morning via Lauterbrunnen/Wengen, and return via Grindelwald. If you catch the 13:13 or 13:43 trains down from Jungfraujoch to Grindelwald, that should give you enough time to spend 1-1.5 hours up at first. The last gondola down from First is at 17:30.

You can plan in detail with the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I have attached some photos of the cliff walk taken in September and December last year.

Alpenrose

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • The thread ‘Bernina Express from Lugano & back in 1 day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.