Online seat reservation on Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2019 at 13:44:34 #824399

Can I get discounted fare if I book seats online for Bernina Express fr St Moritz to Tirano?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2019 at 13:53:45 #924791

Hi Susanna Suah,

You can reserve your seats online via any of these resellers: http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/packages. I am not aware of any promotion regarding the seat reservation on Bernina Express. If there will be any, it will be on the link above.

More info:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2019 at 0:11:59 #924792

There isn’t any great need to spend extra money to reserve seats on the Bernina Express if you are just travelling St Moritz – Tirano. There are plenty of ordinary trains on the Bernina line, and all the trains have large windows so the views will be the same.

It is important to understand the difference between the ‘Bernina Express’ and the ‘Bernina Railway’. The Bernina Railway is the (originally independent) railway line from St Moritz to Tirano. It became part of the Rhätische Bahn* (RhB) in 1943.

It has regular ‘normal’ train services :

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/950 .pdf

The Bernina Express title designates one or two trains a day operated by special coaches (with supplement payable) which include a journey on the Bernina Railway but the special (‘panoramic’) coaches don’t make that much difference as most modern Swiss trains have large windows, even if not officially panoramic. The key element of a ‘panoramic’ coach is ‘toplight’ windows above your head but in practice very few of the major views from panoramic trains are directly above your head, so the view through the normal side part of windows is normally fine. Indeed some of the best views on the Bernina are downwards not upwards

* – The Rhätische Bahn is the ‘national’ train operator in Canton Graubünden, with a network of metre gauge lines, separate from Swiss Federal Railways

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 November 2019 at 2:03:50 #924793

Hello Susanna

1960man is spot on.

Further, the only way to get discounts on the fares is with a Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Half-fare Card or Saver Day Pass (generally speaking – I may have missed an option or two but you get my drift?). It doesn’t matter whether you buy tickets on-line or at the station, the fare will be the same.

If you do decide you want to travel on the Bernina Express then you must have a seat reservation.

Anna
    6362 posts
    8 November 2019 at 22:18:24 #924794

Hi Susanna,

Did you manage to book your seats on the Bernina Express? Lately, we’ve been getting feedback about problems booking seats via the Rhaetische Bahn website. You could try one of the resellers as pointed out by Ildiko in her post. But if you can’t, don’t worry, you can still travel without seat reservation on the regular trains as proposed by 1960man.

The panoramic coaches have bigger windows which extends right into the roof cove. I suppose the seats are more comfortable and the leg room slightly spacious too. Travellers not familiar with Switzerland would appreciate the audio guide and the entertainment option provided on the Bernina Express. For that little extra and the novelty of riding in panoramic coaches, I think making a seat reservation is worth it.

More details about the Bernina Express here http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

Best regards,
    Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2019 at 3:30:38 #924795

Hi Anna

Very helpful information, thanks to all!

We will go for the Panoramic Bernina Express as recommended.

By the way, which side of the train seats should we book to get a good view?

Regards
    Susanna

Anna
    6362 posts
    9 November 2019 at 6:46:53 #924796

Hi Susanna,

Please use this link, it will tell you which side of the train is best on each section of the Bernina Express route http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/gettingth ere

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Online seat reservation on Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.