Bernina Express day trip from Zurich

• Suhana
    Participant
    3 posts
    11 September 2018 at 5:40:22 #818307

Hi. I am planning to take the Bernina Express train from Zurich for a day trip in December 2018. I read that from Zurich, I have to take a train to Chur and board the BEX to Tirano. Since the Express bus from Tirano to Lugano does not operate in Winter, do i just take another return trip of BEX from Tirano back to Zurich? If it is,how long does it takes in total for this day trip?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 September 2018 at 6:48:41 #895995

Hello Suhana,

Have you checked the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to figure out the trip duration? You can go one way via BEX and return by regular trains. Reservations are required on the BEX but not on the regular trains. Whichever way you do it it will be a long day.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 September 2018 at 7:01:02 #895996

Hi Suhana,

You can travel back the same way or:

• via Klosters with a change in Landquart instead of Chur to reach Zurich. This route is still partly duplicate but also has a new scenic section, so more variety overall;
    • via Italy, with a change in Milan or Monza.
  • The thread ‘Bernina Express day trip from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.