Bernina Express in April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2020 at 19:46:21 #824902

I am considering the Bernina Express just after Easter. (middle of April this year) It won’t be snowy, and there won’t be summer wildflowers. Will it be worth doing then? Also, is it overwhelming to do the whole route in one day? I am wondering about getting off somewhere (where? St. Moritz? Alp Grum?) and breaking the journey into two days. Appreciate your feedback.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2020 at 1:54:52 #928061

It will almost certainly be snowy on the Bernina Railway in April. I have been up to Bernina several times at Easter and always been pretty cold with lying snow. The Bernina railway is the highest railway across the Alps as it does not use a tunnel at the summit as other transalpine railways do.

It is not really ‘overwhelming’ to do it in one day, remember Switzerland is a small country so distances are not huge.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2020 at 6:15:19 #928062

Hi Carolinebr and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think that the mountains and the view are always beautiful, it does not matter what season is it. In April usually you can still see snow capped mountains.

Are you taking the bus too from Tirano to Lugano?

The Bernina Express takes about 4 hours without the bus, that is not too much, so I do not think you should break your journey. Only if you want to visit a town or village.

You can read about the route at http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/gettingthere and you can book your tickets and/or your seats at http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/tickets. If you have a Swiss rail pass, like Swiss Travel Pass, you do not need to buy the ticket just reserve your seats. If you do not have any passes you need a ticket and a seat too.

Check these too:

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 January 2020 at 6:30:33 #928063

Hello Caroline,

You may find this trip report of interest; especially if you are continuing through to Lugano. This was late May so there is less snow than you would get in April when it should be reasonably plentiful (global warming notwithstanding).

I wouldn’t break the journey at Alp Grum. If would be a bit bleak in April I would think.

Bear in mind you need reservations for the BEX so if you plan to stop and continue another day you would need reservations for each leg of the journey. Regular trains offer a reservation free alternative and the same scenery.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.