Milan to Grindelwald via Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 1:52:03 #819043

Hi, I am intending to travel from Milan to Grindelwald on 16th December. Is it possible for me to take any part of the Bernina Express? I am not sure where’s the best route and I do not mind reaching Grindelwald in the evening time. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 November 2018 at 6:21:00 #899601

You can find the Bernina Express timetable at http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#inf.

You would need to get from Milan to Tirano to catch the 14:25 Bernina Express train. You won’t get to Chur until 18:19 and then it is nearly 4 hours to Grindelwald.

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page.

The fastest route from Milan to Grindelwald via Domodossola takes just over 4 hours. The BEX is a long way round.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 7:52:14 #899602

Hi eugeneteng,

I think you’ll find the trip to Grindelwald via Domodossola to be very scenic as well. After Domodossola you can travel to Interlaken via Kandersteg – a great train ride! Enter Milan to Grindelwald via Kandersteg. A little longer than the most direct route of 4 hours but also more scenic.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 11:24:57 #899603

Thanks for the reply! I have seen the timetable and don’t think it is feasible.

My intention is to take a scenic train ride, but my schedule is quite packed and can’t really fit in Bernina Express or Glacier express. Maybe I will consider traveling to Montreux from Milan and then taking the Golden Pass line to Interlaken, and eventually to Grindelwald. Do you think the plan is feasible and worth it?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 11:29:56 #899604

Thanks Lucas I will definitely consider your suggestion!

On a side note, I am intending to visit Mt Titlis and Rigi during my trip as well. Do you think it is necessary for reservation? It will be during 21 and 22 Dec.

And while I was researching about things to do near Mt Titlis, they have cheese and glass factory which I’m really interested! Do they provide discount for their activities for Swiss Travel Pass holders?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2018 at 17:16:43 #899605

You can’t reserve trips to the mountains so no need to worry about that.

You can see all museums and other businesses that offer discounts or free entrance with the Swiss Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/details

Rockoyster’s link for the SBB timetable will let you figure out times and duration for including the Golden Pass to Interlaken. It will be a very long day for sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 0:05:27 #899606

Hi Lucas thanks for the information!

Do you know if there will be luggage lockers at Grindelwald? If yes, what’s the rate and size of the locker? I can’t seem to find that information anywhere and hope that you can help!

And just to clarify, if I’m traveling from Milan to Grindelwald with Swiss Travel Pass, I only have to reserve the train ticket from Milano Centrale to Domodossola? Then I can continue staying on the train and present the Swiss Travel Pass to the train conductor for validation of my pass, since the rest of the journey to Grindelwald will be covered?

So in general, we dont really have to reserve any tickets in Switzerland but just have to buy tickets which are discounted for STP holders at the ticket booth? And are the tickets time specific or valid for the entire day? I’m concern about return tickets purchased at the site as I’m afraid I may miss the timing for any reasons. Lastly, do you think it is necessary to reserve Golden Pass ticket from Interlaken to Lucerne?

Sorry for so many questions as I really hope to clarify them before embarking on my trip next month!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 1:20:27 #899607

No need for any reservations on your itinerary. On the EC trains Italy – Switzerland, reservation is required only outside Switzerland. Within Switzerland these trains are like all the others – free to get on and off as long as you have a valid ticket

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 1:51:42 #899608

Hi 1960man!

So I just need to reserve the ticket for train from Milan to Domodossola? And the validation of the Swiss Travel Pass will be done by the train conductor then?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 November 2018 at 2:04:38 #899609

And just to clarify, if I’m traveling from Milan to Grindelwald with Swiss Travel Pass, I only have to reserve the train ticket from Milano Centrale to Domodossola? Then I can continue staying on the train and present the Swiss Travel Pass to the train conductor for validation of my pass, since the rest of the journey to Grindelwald will be covered?

Correct.

So in general, we dont really have to reserve any tickets in Switzerland but just have to buy tickets which are discounted for STP holders at the ticket booth? And are the tickets time specific or valid for the entire day? I’m concern about return tickets purchased at the site as I’m afraid I may miss the timing for any reasons.

The only tickets you will need to buy will be where a discount applies as opposed to the trip being free. Although most mountain excursions eg Schilthorn you need to show your pass at the ticket office and get a free (in 2018) bar-coded pass for the cable cars. Tickets are valid for a whole day.

Lastly, do you think it is necessary to reserve Golden Pass ticket from Interlaken to Lucerne?

No. The Luzern – Interlaken Express is just a regular commuter train which runs on one leg of the Golden Pass Line.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 2:25:20 #899610

Hi rockoyster,

Thanks for your reply! It helps a lot! By any chance do you know about the luggage lockers at Grindelwald? I need a place to store my luggage at Grindelwald as I can only check in after 2pm (Will be reaching around 12pm).

I intend to visit First and try out the cliff walk and hike to bachalpsee lake, which I read takes about 2.5hrs. If I were to wait till check in time, I’m afraid I do not have enough time for First as the last ride from First to Grindelwald is 4.11pm (if I didn’t recall wrongly). And will it be tough for hiking to bachalpsee lake in winter? It is my first time hiking in winter and do not intend to bring any gears like poles.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 November 2018 at 6:04:44 #899611

They have a left luggage service. See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/locker-at-grindelwald-rail-station, but the hotel will certainly allow you to drop off your luggage even if they don’t have your room ready.

Can’t help on the hiking question. Sorry.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 8:30:50 #899612

If the hiking trail is open I’d give yourself extra time to complete it if you haven’t hiked in snow before. There may not be enough snow for the trail to be open in mid-December though.Check in at the local tourist information office to find out about conditions and trail closures.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 8:52:42 #899613

Seems like the locker there can only store a small luggage according to the other person in the post. But I will check out the left luggage services.

I am staying at a chalet booked through airbnb and they seemed quite strict with the rules. They do not allow me to store luggage there before check in time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 9:00:05 #899614

Do you mean the local tourist information office in Grindelwald or First? It will be a pity to go up to first finding that the trail is closed since I am intending to do that and First Cliff Walk.

I didn’t know the trail may be closed due to not enough snow. Would you be able to advice me on other hiking trips as well? They are relatively simple ones.

1) Hike from Rigi Kulm to Rigi Kaltbad

2) Stotzig Egg Hike at Titlis

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 11:17:13 #899615

Yes, certainly the tourist office in Grindelwald before heading up to First.

Generally lower altitude hikes should be fine – ones up on higher mountains generally close between first snowfall until there is a good amount to safely hike on.

You’ll just want to confirm trail openings in a towns tourist office (Lucerne and Engelberg for those two hikes) before committing to it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 11:19:38 #899616

Thanks Lucas! You have been of great help! I will definitely check with the office before embarking on my hike!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 23:22:03 #899617

If you already have the Swiss Pass in your possession when you pass into Swiss train jurisidiction (ie in this case at Domodossola) and it is dated to cover the day you arrive at that point, it won’t be ‘validated’ by the train conductor, just checked as it would be on all subsequent occasions when a train ticket checker comes along during the validity of your pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2018 at 23:43:57 #899618

So far I haven’t seen mention of ‘Winterwanderweg’ in this discussion.

The famous iconic yellow signed Swiss ‘Wanderweg’ (walking path) network is available essential year round at low altitudes, but at medium and higher altitudes the ‘normal’ yellow Wanderweg paths operating in the Spring – Summer – Autumn period can be legally closed to the public.

In winter in upland areas the ‘yellow’ network is replaced by the ‘Winterwanderweg’ network, signed using the colour pink. (note the Grindelwald area calls the colour of its signs ‘purple’)

http://www.wanderplaner.ch/wi nter/winterwanderwege-im-kanton-bern/

In the past I’ve walked at the Easter period and it was somewhat confusing as to which path I was meant to follow, but in mid winter this shouldn’t be the case.

• The thread ‘Milan to Grindelwald via Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.