Bernina Express from Lugano and back in one day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2016 at 17:18:24 #810012

Dear all,

My mother and I will reach to Lugano next week on a trip of 8 days.

I’m interested about traveling Bernina Express

Is it possible to do this trip from Lugano and back in one day?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    31 August 2016 at 17:41:29 #855635

Hi tourist, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’d normally do this in two days as it takes a lot of time. You could take the 10:00 Bernina Express bus to Tirano, then change to the 14:26 train and arrive in Thusis at 17:49. Then take the 18:35 bus to Bellinzona and finally a train to Lugano, arriving 20:50. You can check the timetable for more options. Staying a night in Chur or St. Moritz would work much better.

Have you purchased a rail pass for Switzerland? If so, all of this is free, except for the seat reservations. Be sure to book seats asap: myswissalps.com/ berninaexpress/ tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2016 at 17:50:30 #855636

Thanks for your quick answer!

since we already booked an hotel, we dont have any option to stay in another city.

1. by doing what you wrote- is that mean we need to stop and go back in the middle of the train’s track?

2. we will be able to see the Glacier? (i’ve been read that this id the TOP)

ill purchase the pass tickes as soon as i decide what to do and when

thanks again 🙂

Arno
    15481 posts
    31 August 2016 at 17:59:53 #855637

You’re most welcome!

1. You will see nearly the entire route and take a different route back.

2. There’s one spot where you can see it, but only for a few minutes, and only if the weather is good. To see it properly, you’d better get off the train and visit a viewing point up in the mountains, like Diavolezza. You won’t be able to do so in just one day though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2016 at 18:18:34 #855638

so i think that the best question is – is it worth it?

(Imean traveling the train without any stops)

Arno
    15481 posts
    1 September 2016 at 9:47:45 #855639

Indeed it is, but that’s for you to judge. I would do it in two days, but if you only have one day and really want to experience it, it could be worth it. The Bernina Express page explains what to expect.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express from Lugano and back in one day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.