Break up Bernina Express: buy 2 separate tickets?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 0:37:08 #815349

We want to do the Bernina Express from Zurich to Tirano in July but want to spend 2 nights in St Moritz en route. Am totally confused about best way to do this. We understand we need to take the 7:07 morning train ex Zurich to connect with the 8:32 train ex Chur. I have tried to make this booking but it seems the trains don’t go to Chur, they change at Landquart at 8:11. No sign of a Bernina Express. Where am I going wrong? I have also been told that the Bernina Express doesn’t go directly to St Moritz but that we have to get off at Pontresina. Do I just make one booking for the whole trip covering the 2 days or two separate tickets for each sector? I am an experienced traveller, have made many train bookings but this one has me perplexed.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2018 at 0:49:33 #882340

You can see the Bernina Express timetable and reservation process here. In the booking process you can nominate you already have a ticket so you only pay for the reservation.

The Bernina Express starts at Chur not Zurich.

The 8.32 does not stop at St. Moritz. You have to get off at Pontresina and take a local train to St Moritz. Same for St Moritz to Tirano – you need to get to Pontresina to connect with the Bernina Express. You will need a separate reservation for each day.

Ticket-wise you need a ticket (from Zurich to St Moritz via Chur and Pontresina) and a ticket for St. Moritz to Tirano via Pontresina. Departure time is immaterial for ticket purchase. Ticket lasts all day.

Or if you have a Swiss Travel Pass just hop on the trains and wave your reservation when actually on the BEX.

There are other ways of doing this but I think that explanation is complicated enough. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 2:18:07 #882341

Thanks for your reply. Is there any disadvantage if we leave this booking until we arrive in Switzerland? We arrive 2nd July and wont be travelling on the train until 24th July. If we do that, we can make the decision whether to buy the half price card then. We will be doing some travelling on trains but not a lot. Or should we persevere and buy the tickets 90 days before? Appreciate your help.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2018 at 2:31:36 #882342

I would reserve as soon as you can. You don’t need a pass or a ticket to reserve. You just say you have one or the other in the booking process.

You can buy Pass or tickets at the last minute.

In July there is a BEX departure from St Moritz at 9:39 which goes direct to Tirano. Train #973.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 18:51:20 #882343

Thanks for your reply. I understand a little more now. Will wait until the 90 days prior date arrives which is next week and see how I get on with the reservation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 19:32:35 #882344

Have just been on line to book our seat reservations on the Bernina Express as its now 3 months out and there do not appear to be any first class seats available. I already have a first class ticket. Have I just wasted my money? Should I go ahead and book a 2nd class seat and hope that someone doesn’t show up on the day to take their first class seat? Or are they likely to put another first class carriage on?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 21:00:47 #882345

I’m seeing 8 free seats in 1st Class coach 2. July is peak tourist season so move fast. How did you manage to buy a ticket before a reservation? We are talking Chur to Tirano on 24 July right?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 21:39:10 #882346

Thanks for your prompt reply, you must be a night owl. I have been on line again and miraculously there are still seats available so I have been able to complete the reservation, thank you. Can’t understand why they weren’t there before. I managed to book the seats OK for the next sector from St Moritz to Tirano. I have a train ticket from Germany which covers the journey through to Pontresina.

Which now brings me to the ongoing seat on the bus to Lugano, should I have done this at the same time as I booked the train to Tirano? Do the same rules apply, you buy a ticket and separately buy a seat reservation? Do these usually sell out and I need to do this now? Or just do the seat reservation now. I have not worked out yet if I am going to get a half price card and thought I would do all those ticket purchases when I get to Switzerland.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 22:08:32 #882347

Book the bus pronto! Just secure seat reservation. 2nd class only on bus.

It is early morning in Australia by the way so not really a night owl. 😎

Are you on the 9:39 from St Moritz?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 22:46:36 #882348

All done, at last.

Yes, we are on the 9:39 from St Moritz.

I never have imagined I was talking to an expert on Swiss trains who was in Australia.

Thank you for your help.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 23:02:48 #882349

Great. The 9:39 gives you plenty of time for a pizza in Tirano. Don’t forget to take Euros although as you have come from Germany that shouldn’t be a problem.

Enjoy the trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 2:22:01 #882350

Hi Howham,

It is very rare to make any reservations on Swiss trains/buses (except a couple, of which one is the Bernina Express bus and train).

So in general no need to buy tickets for other trains or bus ahead of time. If you end up buying the Swiss Half Fare Card then just be sure to buy a ticket for each trip before boarding (tickets don’t sell out).

• The thread ‘Break up Bernina Express: buy 2 separate tickets?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.