Bernina Express or local train for photography?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 3:08:13 #816230

I planned to travel from Samedan to Tirano and Tirano back to Samedan on the same day. I have STP and would like to take photos of the scenery during the trains rides. So if I take Bernina Express, the glass enclosure will not be possible for photography as it might have reflection. If I take the local trains, are they on the same route as Bernina Express and can I open the windows to shoot from the train?

I checked the local trains schedule and it looks like the travel time is about the same as Bernina Express. I am not sure if I am seeing the correct time table for the train. Any advice will be much appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 8:49:06 #886334

Hi Simage,

We have another thread talking about the open panoramic cars traveling on that route (regional trains only).

Take a look: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/open -panoramic-cars-on-bernina-express

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 18:50:03 #886335

Thats not true . The Bernina express has an opening at the end of every coach to help you take photographs . We managed to take some amazing photographs as the train wound its way upto Alphine Gruh and down into the valley . The STP trains have a separate carriage at the rear that is conducive to take snaps.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    26 May 2018 at 19:11:33 #886336

Whilst the famous named trains have an appeal all their own and are great to ride, I enjoy riding local trains over the same routes. It can be a very different, but equally enjoyable, experience.

The Swiss timetable has all the details.

Whilst an occasional impromptu adventure is great, the old adage “prior planning prevents poor performance” usually applies. Planning, to me, is an essential and most enjoyable part of the adventure.

Enjoy your travels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 7:19:36 #886337

Thanks Lucas for the information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 7:23:18 #886338

Thank for the info Travelholic6

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 May 2018 at 7:30:57 #886339

Send or link us to some of your photos Travelholic!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 8:10:56 #886340

Travelholic6, you mentioned STP train. Are you referring to the normal train that runs the Bernina Express route that we can use the STP?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 8:14:37 #886341

I’m not sure what an STP train is.

You can use the Swiss Travel Pass on the Bernina Express train or a local train – you just need a reservation on the Bernina Express train where you don’t on regional trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 8:36:55 #886342

Thanks Lucas for the info.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 22:53:17 #886343

Local trains are always a better ‘genuine experience’ than the tourist expresses.

All Bernina trains have some openeing windows, because the ‘Allegra’ unit trains have some, and the old power cars (which still operate a few of the locals) also have them

If you are planning to take the Bernina railway from Samedan to Tirano, the best way is to start early and go via St Moritz, not direct to Pontresina. That way you can board the Bernina train at its starting point at St Moritz, be first onto the train if you can, and bag one of the seats next to an opening window (I would say the best views most of the way are sitting on the right hand side in the direction of travel.)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 6:59:26 #886344

Hi..If your objective is primarily on capturing the splendour on camera …then the local trains fit the bill . Many of them have open carriages at the rear . That said , the Bernina also has small peek out windows to facilitate photography .

Suggestion is …if you have not had the Bernina experience you should have one . You may go by the local train and return by Bernina or vice versa.

Hope this is useful

• The thread ‘Bernina Express or local train for photography?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.