Bernina Express route from Tirano to Zurich

• navis
    Participant
    6 posts
    19 December 2017 at 22:11:43 #813850

Hello, I am travelling January 16 from Tirano to Zurich and would like to take the scenic Bernina Express route. Swiss rail shows a 6 hour journey from Tirano to St. Mortiz to Landquart to Zurich. It does not stop in Chur. Is this the same scenic route or am I better off taking the shorter route that goes from Tirano to Pontresina to Chur and then to Zurich? If possible, I’d like to see St. Mortiz. I understand that all trains may not have panoramic cars. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2017 at 6:26:07 #873096

Hi navis, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

No, the route via Landquart is a different route from Pontresina onwards, but also scenic.

If you want to see the Landwasser Viadukt, select a connection that goes via Filisur and Tiefencastel to Chur. You will get the best view of it sitting on the left, facing backwards.

Do you mean you intend to get off the train in St Moritz for a few hours? If so, it’s easy to get another train from St Moritz to Zürich that goes over the Landwasser Viadukt on the way to Chur.

In your timetable search, just put “From Tirano” “To Zürich HB” “Via St. Moritz”, “via Tiefencastel”, and next to St Moritz put the amount of time you want to spend in St Moritz. Sunset will be a bit after 17:00, so take that into account in planning your trip.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Bernina Express route from Tirano to Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.