Bernina Express reservation – St Moritz to Tirano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2018 at 6:07:56 #818376

Dear all

When I tried to make seat reservation on Bernina Express from St Moritz to Tirana, it says no reservation is required as it is on normal train. Am I doing something wrong or missing something please?

I made a bus reservation from Tirana to Lugano. May I know is the bus journey bumpy?

THank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2018 at 8:48:22 #896288

Hi cwcc01 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Not all trains running between St.Moritz and Tirano (not Tirana) are the Bernina Express trains. http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

For example, tomorrow there is just one Bernina Express train from St. Mortiz to Tirano at 09:39

If you travel on a regional train then no reservations required.

What date and time are you wanting to travel on the Bernina Express?

The road to Lugano is winding but paved so it shouldn’t be bumpy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2018 at 13:26:08 #896289

Hi Lucas

Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

Yes you are right, i made a typo mistake. I meant Tirano. We will travel from Zermatt to St Moritz on Glacier Express on Oct 3rd. On Oct 4th, we plan to take Bernina Express from St Moritz to Lugano. I have made seat reservation on the bus from Tirano to Lugano (2:20pm, Oct 4th).

From the website (Rhb), it says “reservation not possible” from St Moritz to Tirano for the train departing at 10:48am to 1pm.

On another website, it says it is departing at 9.30am from St Moritz to Tirano. http://www.happyrail.com/en/b ernina-express

I am confused 🙁 Is it departing at 9.30am or 10:48am. And what about seat reservation please?

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2018 at 15:07:47 #896290

The Rhb website lists all trains you can take from St.Moritz to Tirano. Not all of them are the Bernina Express (all trains run the same route though). If they aren’t the Bernina Express then reservations are not needed.

From St.Moritz to Tirano on October 4, the only Bernina Express train is departing at 09:39 and arriving at 12:00. Though there is another later departure at 15:12 (too late for you).

The SBB timetable shows you more clearly what train is what. The Bernina Express trains are denoted as BEX: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2018 at 15:32:44 #896291

Hi Lucas

I am wondering, are there any difference in Bernina Express train vs normal train, like viewing window/panel or anything? You mentioned the route is the same. We have 2nd class Travel Pass.

Thank you very much.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2018 at 19:13:25 #896292

Essentially the larger panoramic windows and some tourist/travel commentary as well.

The views of course are the same.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express reservation – St Moritz to Tirano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.