Bernina Express & visit to St.Moritz?

• Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    31 August 2017 at 3:39:35 #813131

My original route on the Bernina Express was from Tirano to Chur. I believe by doing this you miss St Moritz. Can I take this express some other way that will let me stay at St Moritz overnight and then next day take the Glacier Express to Zermatt. Travelling April next year is there only one BEX leaving Tirano each day.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 August 2017 at 4:00:03 #869224

G’day Bob,

Based on the current timetable (see attached) there are several departures of the Bernina Express(denoted by BEX in right-hand column). Next years timetables will be available later in the year but probably won’t vary dramatically.

The departures that show only BEX go to St Moritz. The departures that show BEX and NFB1 you need to get off at Pontresina and take Bus to St Moritz. There will also be a train connection Pontresina to St Moritz but the timetable by default shows the shortest workable route.

You can of course take the Glacier Express from Chur rather than St Moritz.

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    31 August 2017 at 4:23:50 #869225

Thanks Rockoyster,

Yes that was my original choice, but we might see a little more of StMoritz this way. I believe you are a Sydney person I am at Narrabeen.

Regards

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 August 2017 at 4:34:58 #869226

No, not Sydney Bob. Ex-Greenwell Point NSW hence the liking for rockoysters, now Tassie. 😎

We went the other way round – GEX from Brig to Chur followed by BEX from Chur to Lugano in May this year. A ripper trip.

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    31 August 2017 at 5:04:57 #869227

Good stuff, we spent ten days down there last year, took the car with us. Give me a little 60 acre block across at Stanley and I would move there now. We have been to Tassie three times now and will be back.

Regards Bob

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 August 2017 at 19:54:04 #869228

Hi Bob – I guess I don’t understand the problem. You can ride the Bernina route on a regular train, have quite good views, even without the panoramic windows, and get to Pontresina or St. Moritz at many times during the day.

Search Tirano to St. Moritz in the timetable for a typical day. The BEX runs at 1003 and 1403. Othertrains go to St. Moritz many without change at Pontresina. There are about ten other trains during the day, with the first one at 0740. If you wish, you can get off at Pontresina go up to Muottas Muragl for some great views.

Slowpoke

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    1 September 2017 at 6:27:16 #869229

Thanks Slowpoke,

I have have just been searching on SBB for the GEX between StMoritz and Zermatt to find that you can’t access bookings after October 22. During September I can see 2 journeys available per day but they look as though they are booked out. The box associated with departure time and purchase option appears white with a slash through its’ centre. I assume this means booked out.

My question here is the difficulty of actually purchasing a ticket in advance, I believe this can be done as early as three months ahead. But if the option to do this without a window of opportunity shown on the SBB site, how else can it be done.

I planned on making seat bookings next January for travel in April.

Thank you

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 September 2017 at 6:33:04 #869230

Hi Bob,

I made my bookings here http://www.rhb.ch/en/home

Pick BEX or GEX in left-hand “menu”.

I doubt you will be able to make reservations more than 90 days out from your travel dates. That shouldn’t be a problem for April journeys. When we went in late May/Jun there were more trips available as those months get more tourists.

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    1 September 2017 at 6:38:32 #869231

Thanks for that Rockoyster,

Will this company allow a 4 day Swiss pass to be utilised on these two trips as well.

Regards Bob

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 September 2017 at 6:55:57 #869232

Absolutely. The only thing you need to watch out for is if you have a 2nd Class Pass and want to travel in 1st Class. Then you need to buy a Class Upgrade from SBB. That will cost half the difference between the 1st and 2nd class fares.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 September 2017 at 7:38:52 #869233

Hi Bob-

Since you have checked the timetable, you can see that there are quite a few “non-GEX” trains on the same route. Not as special an experience, but you do get to see the same scenery.And, I suspect you also know that Winter will still be with you in the high Alps in April?

Slowpoke

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    1 September 2017 at 22:15:46 #869234

Thanks again Slowpoke, and looking forward to the snow. I guess I will take my chances at getting a seat on the Express early next year.

Regards Bob

• The thread ‘Bernina Express & visit to St.Moritz?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.