Bernina Express timetable clarification

• Jansergeant
    Participant
    12 posts
    20 April 2017 at 9:03:56 #811470

We are planning to take the BERNINA Express from Tirano to Chur, in early Sept.

my 2 questions are

1. Leaving from Tirano, is the trip covered on the Eurrail select pass ( Switzerland, Italy Austria) most info seems to be about the opposite direction, leaving from Switzerland not Italy.

2. We want to be on the Panorama train but I am not sure what time it leaves I have read that it is at 14.03 (train no. 974) but when I have checked the timetable it doesn’t seem to go the whole way through to Chur, but it shows the train at 14.26 ( train no 950) going the whole way through. Which one do I take?

I took this train several years ago & I was positive it was the 14.03 but it was only a few weeks later in the year, so am I reading the timetable wrong?

Thanks

Jan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2017 at 12:11:37 #861852

Hi Jan,

1. Yes, the Eurail Select Pass covers the whole trip (direction doesn’t matter). You just have to buy a seat reservation.
    2. Departure times can vary throughout the season. I checked the timetable for September 5 for example, and there is a Bernina Express panoramic train (BEX, #950) leaving Tirano at 14:26 and arriving in Chur at 18:20. As long as the train is direct and labeled BEX on the timetable you are on the panoramic train the entire trip.

Lucas

Jansergeant
    Participant
    12 posts
    23 April 2017 at 7:00:03 #861853

Thank you for your reply

• The thread ‘Bernina Express timetable clarification’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.