Paris via Bernina Express to Lake Como

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 16:16:44 #820510

I am attempting to book travel on the Bernina Express for a party of 4 adults on May 2 or 3. Im late in planning and am overwhelmed by how best to execute the trip. We are starting in Paris, I think that we must get to Zurich. Eventually we want to end up in the Lake Como region, but the BE is a winter schedule and I read that the local BE bus doesn’t run at that time of the year. Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 March 2019 at 17:02:22 #907065

Hi Neptun,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! You’ll need to get to Chur, which is where the Bernina Express starts. So Paris to Chur could be your first travel day. On day two you can take the Bernina Express to Tirano. From there it depends on where in the Lake Como region you’ll be going. A train from Tirano to Colico takes a bit over an hour. There are no winter schedules that apply here.

More information can be found here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 17:58:24 #907066

Thank you for the very quick reply:) I will investigate these links!

I assume that you are suggesting the easiest route would be to take a train from Paris to Chur? A flight to Zurich then a train to Chur is probably also an option?

Where would you suggest that we stay in Chur to be able to easily get to the train station for the BE?

I am looking to stay on the East side of Lake Como, somewhere between Lenno & Maltrisio. Unless you have a better recommendation for me??? There are so many options to sort through, I find it very overwhelming!

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 March 2019 at 19:02:03 #907067

You’re very welcome! I don’t suggest a flight. The trains are quicker, more comfortable, eco-friendly and probably cheaper as well. The first page I linked to explains how to get the cheapest tickets for the trains from Paris. You will need to change trains in Zurich to reach Chur, which is easy if you arrive by train but more time consuming should you arrive by plane.

I can’t comment on Lake Como. It’s Switzerland only here, sorry 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 1:56:53 #907068

You don’t have to take the Bernina Express. You can save money by travelling in normal trains on the same route.

It is important to understand the difference between the ‘Bernina Express’ and the ‘Bernina Railway’. The Bernina Railway is the (originally independent) railway line from St Moritz to Tirano – it became part of the RhB in 1943. It has regular ‘normal’ train services :

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/950.pdf

The Bernina Express runs through once a day from Chur, but the line from Chur as far as Samedan/Pontresina/St Moritz is the Albula railway not the Bernina railway. The Albula railway is superb in itself and has hourly InterRegio trains Chur – St Moritz

Given the above, you could go Paris – Zurich – Chur – St Moritz – Tirano – Varenna (East side Lake Como)

You could break your journey in any of the places on route. It is worth giving yourself the chance to appreciaite the routes at leisure. Taking regional and IR trans means you can get off for an hour at an immediate point and join the next train.

• The thread ‘Paris via Bernina Express to Lake Como’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.