Bernina Express vs Glacier Express in winter

• Jenn_chuah
    Participant
    112 posts
    9 August 2022 at 5:37:01 #828016

Hello,

I will be taking my 85 year old mum to Switzerland end Nov to mid Dec 2022 (about 20 days). This will be our first visit. Our trip was supposed to take place in March 2020 but had to cancel at the last minute due to the covid pandemic.

As our visit will be during winter, appreciate your advice on the following:

Our base is in Basel.

1) what is the suitable clothing especially for elderly during winter in December?

2) which would be a better option for scenic train during winter? Bernina express or glacier express?

3) I understand there is no bus service from Tirano to Lugano for Bernina Express. So, how do we get to Lugano after we complete our Bernina Express at Tirano?

4) Is Aletsch Glacier suitable for the elderly? What can we do there minus the glacier trekking?

5) Which mountains would be suitable for the elderly? Jungfraugh, Titlis, Pilatus or ???

6) I understand that face mask is not required in Switzerland. However, if we choose to wear face masks at all times as a precaution especially for the elderly, will we be subject to ridicule by the public? We came across feedback from some who have visited Switzerland recently and they received negative remarks for wearing face masks.

7) My mum is mobile but will keep the itinerary light with moderate walking in the cold. Any suggestions what are the places we should visit for first timer? We do not have any specific preference but would welcome suggestions as we are in the process of drawing up our itinerary.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 August 2022 at 10:42:03 #945373

Hi Jenn Chuah,

1. You can find details on what to pack for a winter trip here: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/clothing/winter

2. Both the Bernina Express and Glacier Express offer scenic views of the Swiss landscapes in winter. The Bernina Express is a 4-hour journey and the Glacier Express is an 8-hour journey but it’s not necessary to travel the entire route if you have a tight schedule. You can compare the two routes and see which one you are interested in: Glacier Express route vs Bernina Express route

3. That’s right there is no bus service from Tirano to Lugano in winter. Alternative would be to take the train from Tirano to Lugano via Milan.

4. You don’t have to hike very far to view the Aletsch Glacier. The most convenient way is to travel to Bettmeralp, then take the cable car to Bettmerhorn. There is a restaurant with a viewing deck at the top, which doesn’t require much walking to get to.

5. If your mother is in generally good health, I don’ think she would have any issue visiting all three – Jungfraujoch, Titlis and Pilatus. All three mountaintops have great facilities at the top such as restaurants, observation decks and shops. Pilatus has the lowest elevation so might be more practical if you are worried about altitude sickness.

6. No worries. Wearing face mask in public is no longer obligatory, however no one will judge you if you decide to wear one. In fact, it is still recommended for sick and vulnerable people.

7. This winter planning guide might give you some tips and ideas for your itinerary.

Let us know if you have further questions.

regards,

Anna

Jenn_chuah
    Participant
    112 posts
    9 August 2022 at 13:18:06 #945374

Thank you, Anna.

I shall explore the links you provided.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2022 at 23:17:14 #945375

You have only stated one ‘base’ as Basel, but then asked many questions about places that are a long way form Basel. Do you plan to move accomodation frequently?

There is no real reason not to go both ways on the Bernina railway – in winter it is a very scenic trip. Going both ways would allow you to get off at places along the way. The restaurant at the spectacularly situated Alp Grum station is famous, for example

Bear in mind that the ski season will just be starting, so if they are already open after their Autumn maintenance break, cable cars such as Bettmeralp will be mainly being used by skiers, who don’t always give much ‘leeway’ to non skiers on cable cars…

Jenn_chuah
    Participant
    112 posts
    10 August 2022 at 14:05:21 #945376

Thanks, 1960man.

My primary base will be Basel. But in between, we may make some 1 or 2 nights short trips and then back to Basel. We have 20+ days in Switzerland, hence to keep the itinerary light.

With regards to the Bernina Express, are we allowed to get down at some of the stops and then catch the next train to continue the journey?

The bus from Tirano to Lugano will operate until 27 Nov 2022, right?

Do we have to pay extra for the bus ride?

Do we have to make reservation for the bus?

Where do we board the bus at Tirano?

For the 3 hour bus ride, will there be any toilet stop?

Appreciate your advice on the above.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2022 at 15:58:32 #945377

Regarding the Bernina railway (the marketing people confuse the issue for tourists by promoting the Bernina Express as a ‘unique’ concept.

Don’t forget that the Bernina Express is just a special through train that traverses two different Rhaetische Bahn routes, the UNESCO world heritage ALBULA RAILWAY (Chur – Samedan – St Moritz) and the BERNINA RAILWAY (St Moritz – Pontresina – Bernina – Tirano).

On the Bernina Railway you can get on an off trains at will if you avoid reserving a panoramic coach and/or travel on the local ‘R’ trains. And also note that the old fully open air panoramic wagons are attached to some local trains between St Moritz and Tirano. These are much better than the sealed window modern panoramic coaches on the Bernina Express services, as you get to sample the real mountain air. The full PDF timetable shows all the trains on the line:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf_fields/2022/950.pdf

Sorry I can’t comment on the Bernina Express bus as I have no interest in travelling by bus via that route, I usually go both ways by train.

Jenn_chuah
    Participant
    112 posts
    10 August 2022 at 16:30:14 #945378

Thanks,, 1960man.

i have been reading about the Bernina Express and it is indeed confusing for tourists like us to understand how it is operated. In fact I am still trying to figure out how the Swiss rail system works.

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2022 at 20:48:02 #945379

Hi Jenn Chuah,

If you are not familiar with the Swiss rail system, this might help you: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel.

Regarding the Bernina Express, if you get off the Bernina Express train you cannot get on the next one as you need a seat reservation. If you are traveling not by the Bernina Express, but with local trains on the route of the Bernina Express – you can get off and continue your trip later. Here you can read about the differences between the local trains and the panoramic Bernina Express: http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress (Search for the title ‘Regular trains versus Bernina Express’).

The bus operates:

• from 28 April to 30 October 2022: daily
    • from 3 to 27 November 2022: on Thursdays to Sundays.

The train and bus require separate reservations. You can read more about the prices here and also make your reservation: http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/tickets. If you have a Saver Day Pass (or other valid rail pass) for your day trip, you can save money. The Saver Day Pass includes the Bernina Express ticket, all you need is just to reserve your seats on the Bernina Express.

Here is how you can find the bus station in Tirano: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/finding-the-bernina-express-bus-at-tirano.

Yes, there is a break during the 3 hrs bus ride: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/bernina-express-bus-is-there-a-toilet-break.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2022 at 23:53:48 #945380

The simple answer to your last question/comment is that it really works just like a giant city transit system

Jenn_chuah
    Participant
    112 posts
    11 August 2022 at 13:33:44 #945381

Thanks, Ildiko and 1960man for the info. Appreciate it.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express vs Glacier Express in winter’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.