Bernina Express with Swiss Half-Fare card

• neodad
    Participant
    7 posts
    23 September 2017 at 4:22:53 #813334

Based on the site’s sample spreadsheet, we are planning to buy a Swiss Half-Fare card for our trip next month. Unfortunately, we already made a reservation on the Bernina Express (Lugano to Pontresina) assuming we were going to buy a Flexi-Pass, and it’s not cancellable. The Rhaetian Rail site won’t allow us to combine the existing reservation with a new ticket. Any advice for rectifying our problem? We are tying up 2 seats on the bus we won’t be using, which could prevent someone else from traveling that day. Any advice would be welcome.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 September 2017 at 5:11:27 #870094

Hello neodad and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I’m not sure from your question whether you are still planning to do the Bernina Express trip or not. Assuming you are doing the trip you should be able to buy tickets, to go with your existing reservation, using your Swiss Half-Fare Card at the SBB ticket shop on-line or at the SBB ticket office in Lugano.

If that doesn’t solve the problem then I’d suggest you contact Rhaetian Railways via http://www.rhb.ch/en/contact/ contact-form. I have found them very helpful.

I actually did the opposite. I bought tickets assuming a half-fare card then decided to buy a Swiss Travel Pass. They were happy to refund the half-price fare I had paid as I was still making the trip.

neodad
    Participant
    7 posts
    23 September 2017 at 5:22:49 #870095

Thanks. Yes, we are still planning to go. The website would not let us proceed without re-reserving. I’ve also sent an email, as you suggested, so I’ll wait for their response. Good to know they were helpful when you contacted them — thank you for replying so quickly!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 September 2017 at 5:50:17 #870096

Hi neodad,

You don’t have to buy the the tickets through RHB if you already have the reservation. You can buy from SBB. Check timetable here http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Attached is an example of what you will see if you search from Lugano to Tirano. The 5950 bus is the Bernina Express. You will be warned that you need a reservation.

The same process applies for the Tirano to Pontresina leg. Just make sure you pick the right train which will be designated BEX.

(Note the first two screenshots are from the legacy timetable at fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/qu ery.exe/en the last screenshot is from the more modern website that you will get to using the timetable link above)

• The thread ‘Bernina Express with Swiss Half-Fare card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.