Bernina & Gotthard Panorama train reservations

• Handyman
    Participant
    12 posts
    15 February 2018 at 2:27:51 #814361

The answer to this is probably posted but I can’t find the thread.

With excellent guidance from this website, I’ve purchased two 2nd Class, 8-Day Swiss Travel Passes. I intend to take the Bernina Express (Chur to Tirano to Lugano) on 13 May and the Gotthard Panorama from Lugano to Lucerne (train & boat) on 15 May. My problem is finding the right website or selections that will allow me to purchase a 1st Class upgrade for those trips and also purchase seat reservations for the trips. I understand I must have the seat reservation and would just like the upgrade on our 2nd Class STP for those trips.

I’ve followed several links but seem to get to places for ticket purchases (I have the STP) or for tours/packages. I’m looking for just the upgrade and reservation. Is the seat reservation specific for 2nd Class or 1st Class? Any suggestions or links you can provide would be very helpful. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 February 2018 at 4:16:21 #876287

Hello Handyman,

For the Gotthard, this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/how-to-book-a-full-fare-ticket-on-the-gotthard-exp may help you. Or not, it’s a bit roundabout but I think it reaches a conclusion if you persist.

You can make reservations for the Bernina here http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#cart. Class upgrades for that route seem much simpler than the Gotthard discussion above. Just use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable), or SBB App or buy at a station (eg Tirano) before boarding.

Have a look at “Class Upgrade for a Specific Route” at http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/class-upgrade.html.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 7:27:49 #876288

Hi Handayman,

Our website also offers links for reservations for both train trips:

If you have any issues upgrading your ticket to 1st class online (or on the SBB App) you can do so at any rail station before boarding the train (just make 1st class reservations now).

Happy Travels!

Handyman
    Participant
    12 posts
    15 February 2018 at 18:54:10 #876289

Thanks for the links, rockoyster & Lucas. The link rockoyster gave for Bernina was clear and relatively easy to follow. I booked two 1st Class reservations Chur to Lugano for total of 56 CHF. I plan to upgrade my 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass to 1st Class for that trip at the Chur station.

I ended up making myself use the SBB website for the Gotthard Panoramic Express. Figured I should familiarize myself with that site for the other trips we’ll be making. I was able to book two 1st Class reservations Lugano to Fluelen for total of 48 CHF. Same plan to upgrade STP for that trip.

With a STP, do I need a reservation or anything else for the boat from Fluelen to Lucerne? It looks like about a 3 minute connection time from the train to the boat. I want to make sure all we will need to do is walk from train to boat. I assume the station and dock are very close.

Many thanks for your help and advice. I’m sure there will be other questions that come up as the trip approaches.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 19:22:45 #876290

Hi Handyman,

No reservations are needed or possible on the boats here. The train and boat dock are very close in Flüelen; the connections are always designed so people can make it. You can also always check Google Maps for distances as well (its less than 200 meters).

Happy Travels – glad you’ve got it sorted! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 2:52:14 #876291

>> I was able to book two 1st Class reservations Lugano to Fluelen for total of 48 CHF. Same plan to upgrade STP for that trip. With a STP, do I need a reservation or anything else for the boat from Fluelen to Lucerne

If you want to travel first class on the boat as well, which will give you access to the upper deck, you will also need to purchase an upgrade for the boat. You can do that on the boat itself, but do it before going up to the upper deck!

Alpenrose

Handyman
    Participant
    12 posts
    16 February 2018 at 3:04:44 #876292

Alpenrose, thanks for the head’s up on the boat ticket. I likely would have rushed to the upper deck without realizing it requires a ticket upgrade.

This is a truly great site with very helpful folks taking the time to provide insight on Swiss travel. Thanks to you all.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 3:38:44 #876293

>> I likely would have rushed to the upper deck without realizing it requires a ticket upgrade.

I did that myself the first time I took that boat 😉

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Bernina & Gotthard Panorama train reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.