Bernina or Glacier Express in May?

• Gilly
    Participant
    7 posts
    16 October 2022 at 11:29:15 #828517

We are thinking of doing either the glacier express or the bernina express at the beginning of May next year. This seems to be a good time to get both snowy peaks and green valleys with spring flowers which we would enjoy. We only have time to do one. Which would you recommend? Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 October 2022 at 15:46:03 #947807

Hello Gilly, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

The Bernina Express and Glacier Express are both great journeys with fantastic scenery. I agree that May is a very good season for both of them. Which of the two is best, may depend on the rest of your itinerary. Have you already decided where you’ll be staying?

If you’re limited in time, I’d recommend the Bernina Express. It’s a shorter journey with lots of variety in the scenery.

You can compare both journeys with the information below. Make sure to check the “Route” sections. That can help you figure out which of the two can more easily be combined with your other plans:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2022 at 0:01:52 #947808

In my opinion the Glacier Express is overhyped. Bear in mind that the Glacier Express started in the 1930s as one semi-special train per day on the routes covered by lots of normal regular trains (the same still applies although there are not several Glacier Express services each day). Bear in mind that you see very few glaciers from the Glacier Express…as it was named after the Rhone Glacier which you no longer see from the train because (a) the railway not tunnels underneath it and (b) the glacier is receding and melting so fast due to global warming that you hardly see it from anywhere any more!

As has already been said we can’t advise if we don’t know the rest of your planned itinerary. Depending on where you are going on your trip makes a difference to how much of the Glacier Express route you can cover on separate on off tours by normal regional train.

Gilly
    Participant
    7 posts
    17 October 2022 at 6:22:45 #947809

Thank you very much, that’s very helpful. Looking at our itinerary I think the Bernina express is going to fit in better and I like the sound of more variety of scenery.

Gilly
    Participant
    7 posts
    17 October 2022 at 6:26:02 #947810

Thank you. It was so useful to read your comments. That’s reinforced our decision to do the Bernina express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2022 at 21:47:08 #947811

It would still be helpful to know the rest of your itinerary. Of course you don’t need to travel on either train to see spectacular alpine scenery

Gilly
    Participant
    7 posts
    18 October 2022 at 6:55:56 #947812

We will only be a few days in Switzerland before heading to Italy. We like to take the train so thinking London to Zurich ( staying 1 night there) then onto Chur to board Bernina express. Do you have any suggestions for places for us to stop to break the journey somewhere on that route? Is Chur worth 2 or 3 nights or somewhere else between Zurich and Chur? Totally agree about Swiss scenery, we have spent 2 wonderful walking holidays in Wengen and Kandersteg.

Anna
    6362 posts
    18 October 2022 at 8:23:30 #947813

Hi Gilly,

Based on your travel plans, taking the Bernina Express makes more sense if your next destination is Italy. Chur would be a good base for 1 or 2 nights to explore the surrounding region. For example, you can make a day trip to Arosa or Davos, before taking the Bernina Express. Along the Bernina Express route, you can break your journey in Pontresina before continuing to Tirano. You can find more details about the Bernina Express route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/gettingthere

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2022 at 22:19:08 #947814

Yes, the Bernina route is absolutely the right plan in that case.

Anna’s suggestions are spot on if you want to stop over in Chur and the take the Bernina Express in one single journey from Chur to Tirano. The downside to the long distance (Chur – Tirano) version of the Bernina Express is that you are stuck inside a sealed window train all day. (see below)

However there are some other alternatives:

Zurich – Appenzell region – Chur then south

Chur – Bernina – Tirano in sections to avoid being stuck in a train. The Bernina Express traverses two railways, the Albula railway Chur – Samedan and the Bernina Railway Samedan – Tirano. It can be worthwhile stopping over at one of the villages on th Albual railway. I can vouch for both Filisur and Berguen Bravuogn (where I have stayed in a detached holiday house several times.). Both are really beautiful tradtional Graubunden villages

Gilly
    Participant
    7 posts
    20 October 2022 at 14:10:04 #947815

Thank you for those options of breaking the journey in one of those 2 villages. We may well do that. This forum is so helpful! Glad I came across it.

Gilly
    Participant
    7 posts
    20 October 2022 at 14:11:10 #947816

Thanks Anna

• The thread ‘Bernina or Glacier Express in May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.