Bernina/Glacier Express alternative for December

• dgwallace
    Participant
    7 posts
    10 August 2022 at 22:22:15 #828039

I have only 2 days in December to visit Switzerland, and I very much wanted to take either the Bernini Express or the Glacier Express.if However, it seems that both routes do not operate on December 4 & 5, which is when I will be there. Can you suggest/recommend a scenic train route that would be comparable to either of those that will be running the first part of December? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2022 at 23:36:55 #945455

That’s correct, the Glacier Express (GEX) takes an Autumn break . However, the Bernina Express (BEX) runs daily

But don’t forget you can always travel on all the lines which the GEX covers by normal trains, so you can do some circular day trips that take in parts of the so called ‘Glacier Express route’ (which is just a special train service running over the lines of the MGB railway and RhB railway), where there are always other trains on the line. Same applies to BEX.

Let us know your base and I can suggest some routes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2022 at 8:51:44 #945456

Hi dgwallace and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

The Bernina Express (train) operates all year round. The bus operates until 27 November 2022. Learn more about the route: http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/gettingthere.

The Glacier Express runs from May 14 to October 23 2022 (summer timetable). then there’s a maintenance break from late October to mid-December. Learn more: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere.

The Golden Pass (from Montreux to Lucerne via Interlaken and back) operates all year round: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere.

Ildiko

dgwallace
    Participant
    7 posts
    12 August 2022 at 2:27:44 #945457

<removed by moderator: duplicate post>

dgwallace
    Participant
    7 posts
    12 August 2022 at 2:28:20 #945458

I’m not exactly sure where to post my response, so I’ll post it a couple of places. This is very good news about the Golden Express and other trains! I’ll be visiting a friend in Munich till December 2. I then hoped to travel on trains to see the beautiful Alps in winter and visit some Christmas markets.

Following is my trip schedule so far. I will be in Munich Friday, Dec 2 through December 4. I will be staying in Lucerne the night of December 4. I have a hotel reserved in Lyon for December 5. I have a hotel reservation in Paris beginning the evening of December 6.

All of these reservations are flexible and can be revised or canceled. If I have overbooked or if my points of interest aren’t logical, I’m definitely open to suggestions.

Thank you for your help,

Anna
    6362 posts
    12 August 2022 at 6:06:19 #945459

Hi dgwallace,

It looks like you have a tight schedule. Based on your travel plans, you could probably squeeze in a trip on the Voralpen Express from St Gallen to Lucerne. The train from Munich goes via St Gallen so you can probably switch to the Voralpen Express enroute. You can check train schedules on the SBB timetable.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2022 at 9:25:12 #945460

Wow that’s a tight schedule to see any of the Alps proper. To do what you want to do would be easy by Inter City trains but you would only get distant views of the high alps.

However, I have travelled on 90% of railways in Switzerland (some routes many times) in my 62 years!, so I had a think about ways you could do it.

One option which takes in two of the six ‘mega’ sections of the Glacier Express route is:

Munchen HBf 08.55 – St Margrethen 11.09 (SBB tilting train: Eurocity train EC196)

(hopefully time to pick up a picnic lunch here)

St Margrethen 11.47 – Chur 12.48 (SBB route IR13)

Chur 12.56 – Disentis Muster 14.11 (RhB railway) [Highlight- Reinaulta Swiss Grand Canyon gorge)

Disentis Muster 14.11 – Andermatt 15.22 (MGB railway – highlight: Oberalp Pass summit; looping descent Naetschen – Andermatt (superb views))

Break in Andermatt

Andermatt 16.50 – Goeschenen 17.06 (MGB train – very famous Schoellenen Gorge line)

Goeschenen 17.09 – Luzern 18.41 (Treno Gottardo train)

dgwallace
    Participant
    7 posts
    13 August 2022 at 15:53:31 #945461

I’m sorry! I got the details of my itinerary completely wrong!

Actually, I will be staying in Milan, Italy, until the morning of December 4. Then I want to do whatever I can to see the Swiss Alps until my hotel reservation in Paris on the the evening of December 6.

I have flexible reservations on December 4 in Lucerne and flexible reservations in Lyon, France on December 5 because I had thought that both of those locations would be smart for the beginning and ending of Bernini or Glacier Express on my way to Paris. However, as I said, those reservations can be canceled if you advise me of a better alternative.

So basically, from the time I check out of my Milan hotel on the morning of Dec 4 until I check into my Paris hotel on the evening of Dec 6, I want to spend my time riding a train through the Alps and seeing Swiss/French Christmas markets.

I hope this clarifies and makes my plans seem a bit more logical.

By the way, you have no idea how thrilledl I am to have found this website and how grateful I am for all your help.

Anna
    6362 posts
    13 August 2022 at 17:37:20 #945462

Hi dgwallace,

If you’re starting out from Milan, then the most sensible scenic train option is the Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur. From Chur you can take a connecting train to Lucerne. So the route would be: Milan – Tirano – Chur – Lucerne (via Zurich).

You can check train tickets from Milan to Tirano here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy. For the Bernina Express segment and the train journey to Lucerne, I suggest looking at getting a Saver Day Pass. You will also need to make a seat reservation on the Bernina Express.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

dgwallace
    Participant
    7 posts
    13 August 2022 at 21:10:03 #945463

Yes, the route information is helpful. I understand that the Bernina Express won’t be running on those dates, but hopefully, I can find a train that runs the same route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2022 at 22:42:05 #945464

OK – that changes things!

In addition to Anna’s correct comments about Milan – Bernina – Chur:

Lyon is totally illogical as a stopover on a tightly timed journey Milan – Swiss Alps – Paris.

Recommendation: Do what Anna suggests and get to Chur. Then go to Zurich for a Christmas Market, then go via Basel (also has a nice Xmas market) and Lyria TGV to Paris

dgwallace
    Participant
    7 posts
    14 August 2022 at 19:27:39 #945465

Milan — Swiss Alps — Paris — got it! So with that route, can you recommend where I should stay between leaving Lucerne on the morning of Dec. 6, and checking into Paris on the evening of Dec 8? Which town would be a good choice between? Or should I explore Lucerne an extra day and do the entire train route in one day?

Anna
    6362 posts
    15 August 2022 at 4:15:40 #945466

Hi dgwallace,

The journey from Milan to Lucerne via Tirano and Chur might be along one. It will probably be late evening by the time you reach Lucerne, maybe with enough time to catch the Christmas market. But you might need another day to to explore the city. So, yes, stay an extra night. From Lucerne, you can also easily do day trips to Zurich or Bern or plan a short mountain excursion to Rigi. More sightseeing options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Bernina/Glacier Express alternative for December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.