Bernina/Gotthard Express & Jungfrau region in June

• Neubigl
    Participant
    25 posts
    1 July 2021 at 20:03:36 #825900

We will begin our journey on the Bernina Express in Chur. Is it possible to get off the Bernina Express at Pontressina, spend the nite or even 2 and get the next Bernina Express that goes by to finish in Tirano or do you have to use the regular train to do that?

Does the Gotthard Express stop in Fluelen? We want to go from Lugano to Lucerne and would like to take the boat from the east end of Lake Lucerne (at Fluelen) into town. If The Gotthard does not go to Fluelen, what train from Lugano does? Or is it better to take the train all the way in to Luncerne? Which train would that be?

We want to spend 10 to 14 days in the Bernes Oberland area for lots of hiking. We will be there mid June 2022. Hopefully the walks/trails will be clear enough to do the hiking we have planned. (We know September is the best time but we have a very important wedding in the US.) Does 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen, 4 in Murren, 4 in Wengen, 2 in Grindelwald sound spread out enough? Or would it be better to just stay put in 2 town choices ….say Murren and Wengen and base from there for hikes?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Linda N.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    2 July 2021 at 6:33:33 #935549

Hi Linda,

Yes, it is possible to break your journey on the Bernina Express in Pontresina. However you would need to make another seat reservation to continue your journey to Tirano. But it is also possible to take the regular trains on this route if you don’t have a seat reservation on the Bernina Express. More information about the Bernina Express here: http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress

Yes, the Gotthard Panorama Express does stop in Flüelen. And from Flüelen, you can take the boat to Lucerne. The Gotthard Panorama Express route from Lugano to Lucerne is explained in detail here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gotthardpanoramaexpress/gettingthere

For your 10- to 14-days stay in the Jungfrau region, I would choose to base myself in two places to minimise the hassle of packing up and checking-in and out every few days. But some travellers don’t mind the hassle so it’s up to you really. I think a two-week stay is a good duration to cover lots of good trails in the area. I like Lauterbrunnen because it’s in a valley and has a central location in relation to other popular destinations in the region. And I like Wengen because it’s a car-free mountain village and is the ideal starting point to a lot of good hikes in the mountains.

Here are some useful links if you are looking for accommodation:

I hope this gives you some ideas to finalise your trip.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Anna

Neubigl
    Participant
    25 posts
    2 July 2021 at 12:09:40 #935550

All of you at MySwissAlps are so very helpful. You are making planning our 1 month Switzerland June 2022 trip so much easier.

Thank you so much!

Linda Neubig

• The thread ‘Bernina/Gotthard Express & Jungfrau region in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.