Bernina Express Tirano to Chur via St. Moritz

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 18:25:46 #813019

I am planning to take the Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur. I would like to take 10:03 BE from Tirano which stops at St. Moritz and Landquart as opposed to the 14:26 from Tirano which makes no stops between Tirano and Chur. My question is, for the portion from St. Moritz to Chur (stopping in Landquart before Chur), is it the same route as it would take if you took the non stop BE at 14:26 from Tirano to Chur or does it take a different route. I was thinking it must be a different route as it looks like Landquart is beyond Chur thus having to backtrack to Chur.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 August 2017 at 21:39:48 #868656

Hi Patsy,

The 10:03 BEX stops at St. Moritz. From there (if you follow the SBB timetable offering) you switch to a non-BEX train and deviate from the BEX route. If you want to stay on the BEX route and cross the Landwasser Viaduct for example then enter via St. Moritz AND Filisur in your search. You can catch the 13:02 RE1144 connection or spend a couple of hours looking around St Moritz and take a later train.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 August 2017 at 22:52:53 #868657

Hi Patsy,

The 14:26 BEX bypasses St Moritz (just saying in case you had a particular desire to see that town).

If the BEX timings don’t work for you then there are many regional trains running the route. You just miss out on Panorama windows and commentary. The views are the same.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 23:10:15 #868658

Thanks that is very helpful information. I think I will take the 1302 from Saint Moritz to Chur . Do you know if there will be cars with large windows and commentary on that route . We are continuing on to our accommodation in Luzern. I noticed that the trains go through Zürich so we are now thinking that we will get off the train in Zürich for a few hours before continuing on to Luzern. We will have about 3 1/2 hours between our trains and plan to put our luggage in a locker so we should have three hours to look around Zürich . Do you think this is doable / worth it ? We don’t want to arrive in Luzern too late so plan to take a train around 8 pm from Zürich and arrive in Luzern at 9 pm

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 August 2017 at 23:15:11 #868659

Hi Patsy,

The 13:02 is a regional train so no Panoramic windows or commentary.

I’ve never been to Zurich so can’t say if it is worth a stop off. Seems to be famous for “shopping”! Depends what you are interested in. Luzern is great.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 5:59:06 #868660

Hi Patsy,

If you want to be on the panoramic train (large windows and commentary) be sure you are on a train labeled BEX on the Swiss railways timetable.

You can start on the Bernina Express panoramic train but then change to regional trains (after St. Moritz typically).

The 14:26 train has no connections on the timetable so you are on the same panoramic train for the entire route.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 August 2017 at 6:07:16 #868661

Hi Lucas,

As a Zurich local what do you think about Patsy’s idea of stopping off in Zurich for 3 hours on the way to Luzern?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 11:07:08 #868662

Hmm, I would choose to spend more time in Luzern over Zurich – unless shopping or museums/galleries were my main focus.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 14:00:40 #868663

Thanks for all your help both of you. Do you think it is important to have panoramic windows for the portion from St. Moritz to Chur or just Tirano to St.Moritz. We could take the 14:26 but then we would not have time to stop in Zurich. We have 2 full days in Lizern so hoping that will be enough time there?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 16:23:01 #868664

I would go for the full Bernina Express experience over a few hours of wandering downtown Zurich yes. 🙂

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 18:41:28 #868665

Thanks I have decided to go with the whole Bernina Express experience and skip Zurich. It makes for a more leisurely morning as well.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 August 2017 at 0:20:04 #868666

Hi Patsy,

You probably already know this but just in case . . . you need to reserve seats on the Bernina Express and can do so here http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#timetable

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    22 August 2017 at 14:59:09 #868667

I will have a 2nd cl Swiss Travel Pass on my trip in late September. What is the cost of a seat reservation only?

Second question/comment. I am a train photographer and this is the main reason for my trips. One gripe I have is that, for example, if you look at the RhB page noted above:

http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#timetable

you will notice that EVERY beautiful photo shown was taken outside of the train either next to the tracks or on some hillside probably only reached via car or a hike. How do the views inside the train compare to the shots outside? One of the only great shots easily obtainable is of the Landwasser viaduct heading toward Filisur as it rounds the curve before entering the tunnel. A shot of the Brusio circular viaduct from the train is impossible even with a 8mm fisheye.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 August 2017 at 21:14:46 #868668

Hi John,

I believe the reservation fee is CHF14.

Photography from the panoramic trains can be problematic what with glare on the windows and the fact the views flash by. See my comments regarding the Landwasser Viaduct here http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure-part4

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    22 August 2017 at 21:56:10 #868669

When I mentioned my Landwasser Viaduct photos I forgot one major point. I have never ridden in a GEX or BEX panorama coach. I have only ridden on many, many standard coaches with pull down windows. On one trip waaay in the past I went back and forth between Filisur and Tiefencastle four times in a row to make sure I got a good picture. I was shooting film and could not immediately review my shots. I am sure on this trip I will be greeted by many RhB EMU trains with fixed windows. I try not to take the panorama trains.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 August 2017 at 4:41:59 #868670

. . . . and now you can do the trip (as seen by the driver) on Google Streetview! http://www.goo.gl/VvhHpR 😇

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 4:42:59 #868671

Hi John,

>> I am sure on this trip I will be greeted by many RhB EMU trains with fixed windows. I try not to take the panorama trains.

Have you tried the trains between Chur and St Moritz that have a photographers’ viewing area (Fotoabteil)? They are denoted in the timetable with the letters “FW”. Some examples are trains leaving Chur at 10:58, 11:58 and 12:58.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 August 2017 at 4:54:07 #868672

Like this Alenperose http://www.flickr.com/photos/ kecko/35205130624? Do the windows open?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 6:24:12 #868673

It seems so, the picture description says the side windows and roof blinds can be electrically operated….I would hope that means the windows can be lowered.

I should try that one out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 7:05:35 #868674

Hi rockoyster,

>> Like this Alenperose www. flickr. com/photos/ kecko/35205130624? Do the windows open?

Yes, I believe that’s it (but I haven’t travelled on one myself). As Lucas mentioned, the windows open electrically. You can read about it here:

contura.rhb.ch/en/edit ion/id-201617/the-new-articulated-alvra-train.html

More pictures of the interior of the train are on the Rhätischen Bahn website on this page:

http://www.rhb.ch/en/news-events/news/details/di e-rhb-praesentiert-den-neuen-albula-gliederzug

There are also open-air carriages on the sector St. Moritz to Tirano sometimes:

http://www.rhb.ch/en/world-of-railway-experiences/railway-experiences/open-panoramic-cars

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 15:37:40 #868675

Hey: I am glad you guys kept talking because with your suggestions I have come up with a new plan. Let me know what you think:

Take 10:03 Bernina Express from Tirano arrive St. Moritz 12:36 ( we would like to take the open your car at 9:40 but as we are travelling on September 13 I don’t think they are available as they only run in July and August)

Leave St. moritz on the FW (photograpy train) at 14:02 and arrive in Chur at 16:03

leave Chur at 16:09 (platforms are right across from each other) and arrive in Zurich at 17:23

Put our luggage in lockers at the train station and have 3 hours to see what we can in about 2 1/2 hours allowing time to get our luggage and get to our platform)

Take 20:35 from Zurich and arrive in Luzern at 21:25

I read somewhere that the shops in Zurich are closed from 18:30-20:00. Do you know if this is correct? If it is we will be happy to window shop as we probably won’t be buying any expensive watches anyway with the amount the trip is costing us.

I know it will be a long day but we are up for it.

One more question: do you know if I will have to pay for a seat reservation on the Tirano to St. Moritz leg on a panoramic car as well as the St. Moritz to Chur leg on the FW train.

Thanks for all your help

Patsy

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • The thread ‘Bernina Express Tirano to Chur via St. Moritz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.