Bernina Express Tirano to Chur via St. Moritz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 15:37:40 #868675

Hey: I am glad you guys kept talking because with your suggestions I have come up with a new plan. Let me know what you think:

Take 10:03 Bernina Express from Tirano arrive St. Moritz 12:36 ( we would like to take the open your car at 9:40 but as we are travelling on September 13 I don’t think they are available as they only run in July and August)

Leave St. moritz on the FW (photograpy train) at 14:02 and arrive in Chur at 16:03

leave Chur at 16:09 (platforms are right across from each other) and arrive in Zurich at 17:23

Put our luggage in lockers at the train station and have 3 hours to see what we can in about 2 1/2 hours allowing time to get our luggage and get to our platform)

Take 20:35 from Zurich and arrive in Luzern at 21:25

I read somewhere that the shops in Zurich are closed from 18:30-20:00. Do you know if this is correct? If it is we will be happy to window shop as we probably won’t be buying any expensive watches anyway with the amount the trip is costing us.

I know it will be a long day but we are up for it.

One more question: do you know if I will have to pay for a seat reservation on the Tirano to St. Moritz leg on a panoramic car as well as the St. Moritz to Chur leg on the FW train.

Thanks for all your help

Patsy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 2:25:17 #868676

Hi Patsy,

>> Take 10:03 Bernina Express from Tirano arrive St. Moritz 12:36 … Leave St. moritz on the FW (photograpy train) at 14:02 and arrive in Chur at 16:03 … leave Chur at 16:09 (platforms are right across from each other) and arrive in Zurich at 17:23. Put our luggage in lockers at the train station and have 3 hours to see what we can in about 2 1/2 hours … Take 20:35 from Zurich and arrive in Luzern at 21:25

Looks good to me!

>> I read somewhere that the shops in Zurich are closed from 18:30-20:00. Do you know if this is correct? If it is we will be happy to window shop as we probably won’t be buying any expensive watches anyway with the amount the trip is costing us.

Yes, in general smaller shops close about 18:30 and the larger stores around 20:00 on weekdays.

Parts of the Bahnhofstrasse have elegant buildings, but personally I think the Altstadt (old town) on both sides of the river is much more interesting!

You can download a PDF of a map with a city walk marked on it from the link below. You should have enough time to do it, but I would suggest to shorten it by crossing the river on the Münster Brücke and then going back to the station along Münstergasse, which changes its name several times before becoming Niederdorfstrasse. This is a very attractive part of the old town. Just to give you an idea, from the Münster Brücke back to the station along Niederdorfstrasse takes around 15-20 minutes.

http://www.zuerich.com/en/vis it/zurich-brochures

>> One more question: do you know if I will have to pay for a seat reservation on the Tirano to St. Moritz leg on a panoramic car as well as the St. Moritz to Chur leg on the FW train.

Your 10:03 Bernina Express has compulsory reservations, which you can get here:

http://www.rhb.ch/en/tickets-travelcards/bernina-express-booking/bernina-express

The 14:02 departure from St Moritz to Chur doesn’t require reservations.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 August 2017 at 3:03:43 #868677

Here’s a video that shows the Photo Carriage (I think) towards the end.

http://www.facebook.com/Swiss TravelSystem/videos/15 27681303955207/

Moral of the story? Don’t sneeze when crossing the Landwasser Viaduct!

When did Polaroid cameras make a return? 🙃

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 7:54:45 #868678

Great video! Thanks for posting the link.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 8:19:09 #868679

Looks like I need to lose some weight before I can dangle myself out that little window! 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 August 2017 at 8:24:40 #868680

Just don’t dangle when there is a tunnel approaching Lucas!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 12:39:52 #868681

When do you see that view that is in the video when you are travelling in the direction from St. moritz to Chur.

Patsy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 12:47:03 #868682

I mean after which stop should we be ready with our camera to get a picture of the Landwass Viaduct.

thanks, Patsy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 17:37:08 #868683

Hi Patsy,

If you are heading to Chur, the viaduct is shortly after you leave Filisur station. The train slows down for it and announcements are usually made as well.

We have route details on our Bernina Express page here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 4:06:46 #868684

Hi Patsy,

>> When do you see that view that is in the video when you are travelling in the direction from St. moritz to Chur … I mean after which stop should we be ready with our camera to get a picture of the Landwass Viaduct.

Something to bear in mind is that the video shows the train travelling in the direction from Chur to St Moritz. You will be coming from the opposite direction: thus out of the tunnel and over the viaduct instead of over the viaduct and into the tunnel.

So to see that same view, you will need to be on the left side of the train and facing backwards to the direction of travel.

The same applies to getting a view of the full-circle of the Brusio Circular viaduct, which you will get to shortly after passing Campascio station (which the train does not stop at).

Getting good pictures of these famous landmarks is very hit-and-miss, but always worth a try!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 4:26:28 #868685

>> Here’s a video that shows the Photo Carriage (I think) towards the end.

If I’m not mistaken, the editors have taken a few liberties with that video!

It shows the passenger boarding at Pontresina, clearly travelling in the direction of Tirano, but passing Lago Bianco and then the Landwasser Viadukt, which is geographically impossible! Then when her face lights up at the (supposed) sighting of the Brusio circular viaduct ahead, the landscape is clearly high alpine rather than the green and wooded landscape near the Brusio Viaduct!

Cheeky!! But that sneeze joke is priceless!

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 August 2017 at 5:36:06 #868686

Hi Alpenrose,

Well spotted that man. Take a look at this view http://www.google.com.au/maps /@46.6793017,9.6761931 ,2a,75y,0.57h,91.5t/da ta=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soNi2 kDSebury1GPyHMKInA!2e0 !7i13312!8i6656 (I think that should show up correctly but if not I have attached a screen shot of the view and a couple of the viewing area) Unfortunately no train crossing at the time.

On Google Streetview the location from which you can see the view is described as Aussichtsplattform Landwasserviadukt.

Have you been there or have any idea how you get there? Is it a hike out of Filisur?

When heading north do you get any sightings of the viaduct from the train prior to popping out of the tunnel? When heading south I can’t remember whether I ever looked back after going through the tunnel to see if I’d get another view from further down the track. I don’t think I did.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 August 2017 at 5:37:29 #868687

Attachments meant for previous post . . .

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    25 August 2017 at 18:55:02 #868688

Here is what you will see immediately after exiting the tunnel traveling north over the Landwasser Viaduct. (2005)

John

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2017 at 4:48:24 #868689

Hi rockoyster,

>> On Google Streetview the location from which you can see the view is described as Aussichtsplattform Landwasserviadukt. Have you been there or have any idea how you get there? Is it a hike out of Filisur?

I didn’t know about it before your post! So I haven’t been there. However, I have done a little research 🙂

It appears you can hike there from Filisur Station. The track doesn’t seem to be too difficult, but there is a short, steep section. You can also retrace your steps to the path junction to continue down to the riverbed and walk underneath the viaduct.

There are also apparently another two viewpoints on the other side of the tracks that look straight onto the tunnel entrance (which does not seem to be visible from the viewpoint closer to Filisur). People seem to get to the other viewpoints from Schmitten, and say it is a demanding, very steep 30-minute hike, requiring reasonable fitness and sure-footedness; not well signposted; proper hiking shoes should be worn; drinking water should be taken.

>> When heading north do you get any sightings of the viaduct from the train prior to popping out of the tunnel?

I wouldn’t think so, due to the height of the mountain through which the tunnel goes. Also there are a lot of viaducts that look similar, and without the iconic view of the tunnel into the rockface at the immediate end of the viaduct, you can never be really sure which viaduct you are looking at. On one occasion when I was travelling towards Chur on a regional train, although I had a window seat on the left and was looking out of the window the whole time, I never was sure which of the many viaducts was the Landwasser!

>> When heading south I can’t remember whether I ever looked back after going through the tunnel to see if I’d get another view from further down the track. I don’t think I did.

Probably not! There is so much else to see just looking ahead!

I have attached a map and an aerial view showing the hiking trails around the Landwasser Viadukt, including the one to the viewpoint you found.

Here is a summary of pertinent information I found about the hike from Filisur station and photographing trains on the viaduct (a lot of which was in German):

—Hiking time from Filisur station: 15-60 minutes (varies according to different people!)

—Be aware of the train times (both ways) if you want to photograph a train on the viaduct

—The trains heading towards Chur come out of the tunnel very suddenly, and you have to be quick to snap them before they whiz across the “best” part of the viaduct.

—You have more chance to be prepared with your camera with trains heading towards St. Moritz

—Afternoon or evening is best, as trains are in shadow in the morning

The most useful directions I found for the hike are in the post titled Great walks to view Landwasser Viaduct on the following Trip Advisor page:

tinyurl.com/yb2tphsv

The site my screenshots come from is:

tinyurl.com/yashgtjo

(Thanks to Slowpoke, from whom I first learned about this site, and how to turn the hiking trails layer on!)

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 August 2017 at 5:43:47 #868690

Hi Alpenrose,

Thanks for the research, translation and extra links. Very interesting. The TripAdviser reports are informative. I may have to schedule in a stop at Filisur next time and go for a hike. The first glimpse of the Landwasser from the train is a thrill but next minute you are over it and it is gone so quickly.

This is still one of my favourite shots of the viaduct http://www.goo.gl/MrdJkD Tried out which hiking trail this was taken from and can only assume a daring photographer somewhat off the beaten track!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2017 at 6:08:16 #868691

Yes, definitely off the beaten track I would say!

The tunnel shown is not the “iconic” one immediately at the end of the viaduct, but the tunnel the train goes through just before it gets to the viaduct when travelling in the direction Chur-St Moritz. It is still a magnificent photo though, and from this angle, you can’t tell that the back half of the train is not actually on the viaduct.

It doesn’t seem to have been taken from any of the marked hiking trails though, and given the amount of snow around, this is one intrepid photographer!! It must have taken a lot of thought and planning to find that viewpoint.

I wondered if it might have been taken from a drone, but none of his other photos suggest he uses a drone, and it would be extremely difficult to get the timing and perspective so perfect.

I read his profile, and he doesn’t seem to be a professional photographer, but his photos are certainly of professional quality.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 August 2017 at 22:25:57 #868692

This (well at least the yellow train part) might appeal to you John.

Bernina Gran Turismo – the classic car race in the middle of the Alps

448 meters of altitude difference, more than 50 curves, 5.7 kilometers in length and in the heart of the Swiss Alps – this is what the Bernina Gran Turismo, which takes place from 22 to 24 September 2017 on the Berninapass.

Bernina Gran Turismo – this is a successful mixture of history, motorsports, and “authentic rough luxury”, and it is a great experience for participants and spectators. The Berengarten on the Bernina Passstrasse, which is closed for traffic, is open to sports and racing cars for years of construction in the early 1980s.

In order to experience this extraordinary event, on 23 and 24 September 2017, two «RhB-Oldtimer» will be departing from St. Moritz / Pontresina to Ospizio Bernina, on 24th September 2017 to Poschiavo and back again (details see menu item “train information”). Thanks to the partnership with the Rhaetian Railway and the commitment of the Bernina Gran Turismo, the extra trains can be used with an ordinary route-related ticket without additional charges.

The route runs over 5.7 kilometers from La Rösa to 1800 meters above sea level to the pass at the Ospizio Bernina, where the spectacular route is about 500 meters above sea level. Pure adrenaline in the midst of a magnificent, high-alpine landscape! The Bernina Gran Turismo offers a unique opportunity to experience the beauty of the autumn in the Engadine. Audiences are welcome and do not have to pay entrance fees.

Above translated by Google from original German (with pictures of old timer train) at

http://www.rhb.ch/de/erlebnis welt-bahn/dampf-nostalgiefahrten/berni na-gran-turismo

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 September 2017 at 7:12:18 #868693

Hi Rockoyster.

I’ve been down below, having walked in from the road.

You have very little time to get a picture; I’d set my camera t o fast burst mode if possible.

And, the lighting can be difficult, since you are shooting up with a lot of sky to influence the autoexposure. I’d use spot metering or maybe center-weighted averaging.

Slowpoke

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • The thread ‘Bernina Express Tirano to Chur via St. Moritz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.