Accommodation around Lungern for older travellers

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2018 at 10:12:59 #818979

Hi Everyone

We are looking for affordable accomodation in Lungern, Uterbach and Giswil or nearby any of those. We are thinking outside of Lucerne or Interlaken as it is cheaper and less busy I hope. Are these areas suitable for older travellers (eldest 82) getting to railways etc. Walking small distance if fine.

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 November 2018 at 11:17:25 #899284

Hi Philzy71, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Can you provide us with a few more details as requested here please: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/how-to-get-help-finding-accommodation. That helps providing useful suggestions. I haven’t heard of Uterbach, that might be a typo, but the Lungern/Giswil area is clear and indeed day trips to both Interlaken and Lucerne are doable from there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2018 at 11:38:51 #899285

There are 4 adults travelling ages between 47 and 82. Budget around $2000 a week as we would like to spend more money on trips around the area. We are arriving in Zurich and staying 2 nights there and then planning to move onto Lucerne or Interlaken area. We would like to cook our own meals most of the time and would like to be close to a grocery store. My concerns are finding accommodation that suits us as well as being able to get transport from the accommodation to the railway, basically from our front door as we would prefer a little out of town. The name of the town is Unterbach in which I spelt incorectly.

Our travel dates are May 5 – 18th

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2018 at 18:12:09 #899286

Hi Philzy71,

If you are looking for a holiday apartment type of accommodation, it can be tricky finding one that is walking distance from a train station and a grocery store.

In Lungern I found this as an example – take look and see if that is what you are looking for and how its location is for you. http://www.e-domizil.ch/en/vacation -home/1759425/holiday-apartment-wohnung-rot-lungern-obwalden-central-switzerland-switzerland/ – let us know if we can help find more examples.

You can also use two companies listed here to search: http://www.myswissalps.com/re ntals

You are then also looking for another stay in Unterbäch near Visp (after)? Or just one location for your trip but you haven’t decided where yet?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    20 November 2018 at 8:09:36 #899287

Hello,

Another site you might want to take a look at is Bed and Breakfast Switzerland. I will add that this is NOT like AirBnB. The following lines are from their home page: “Simply providing a bed is not enough. All hosts on bnb.ch offer a breakfast, which is already included in the price. Special amenities offered for hikers, bikers, motorcyclists, winter sports enthusiasts and business travellers. Even small children and dogs are welcome in many places. The website is commission free.”

By the way, I really like what I read for the place that Lucas found for you in Lungern ! CHF 843.00 per week is a great deal. That works out to CHF 210.75 per person for 7 days, or just over CHF 30 per person per night ! Great find, Lucas ! If you don’t mind the 800 metre walk to the train station, I’d say it might be just what you want. The attached map shows the location of the holiday apartment (red circle) and the local train station (blue circle). For groceries, there is a Volg in Lungern, and there are Coop stores in Meiringen, Brienz, and Giswil, and Migros stores in Meiringen and Brienz, so you aren<t going to starve. The Volg (called a Dorfladen) is run by the Wallimann-Halter family and it has one of the new PTT Post Modules (this is what Big Yellow is doing to replace traditional post offices) and at 103 Brünigstrasse is closer to the holiday apartment than the train station, so you can stop by there on your way back. I also see they have home delivery (Heimlieferservice).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2018 at 15:36:31 #899288

Indeed I hope that can work for them Peter. 🙂

That price might be the starting price so hopefully it isn’t too much higher in May. Hopefully the booking/arrival dates work too (arriving on Sunday doesn’t work I think. But one can book from Saturday or Monday).

• The thread ‘Accommodation around Lungern for older travellers’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.