Best location for non-skiers in Switzerland in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2018 at 16:57:47 #814048

Hi,

First of all thanks for reading and apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I’m looking for the most suitable location to base a group of 6 for 4 nights towards the end of May?

As we do not want to go skiing we’re mainly interested in hiking and enjoying the scenery. I’ve noticed Interlaken mentioned often with many saying it’s a tourist trap – is this true?

I’ve also seen the Bernese Oberland region recommended most so that’s where I began my search only to find myself with more choice!

Grateful for any suggestions/thoughts on my predicament.

Thanks in advance,

Sai

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 6:57:22 #874418

Hi Saiyn, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Interlaken isn’t very pretty, but it’s located centrally and offers many facilities. For mountain villages like Lauterbrunnen, Mürren and Wengen it’s low season, but that doesn’t mean all facilities are shut down. Grindelwald may be a good alternative. It’s smaller than Interlaken, but still has more than enough stores and facilities, and has stunning scenery.

May is not ideal for hiking, at least at high altitudes. Hiking trails don’t open up much before mid June. Read here more about the best time to visit Switzerland. Also, use the search box in the upper right corner to find several topics related to your question.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 7:27:31 #874419

Thank you very much for your reply Chantal.

We’re happy just to explore the sights by walking we’re happy not to hike at high altitude. Would it be easier to reach grindelwald from Geneva I presume as opposed to zurich?

thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 10:53:00 #874420

It’s faster from Zurich. The Swiss time table is very useful when planning your trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 12:14:14 #874421

Thank you. We have decided to stay in Brienz as we found a good deal for apartment so hope it’s Ok in May.

Thanks once again for all your help without doubt the most informative website for a travel destination i’ve ever used!

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 January 2018 at 14:43:56 #874422

Hi Saiyan,

I stayed in Brienz once in May. It was absolutely wonderful, with amazing views of the lake and snow capped mountains. But of course it also depends on the weather of the day, which can vary a lot throughout the year.

• The thread ‘Best location for non-skiers in Switzerland in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.