Best location to ski/snowboard in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 16:51:36 #814142

Hello. I’m planning a ski trip to the Alps and wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on which location would be better for skiing. I’ve been to the Jungfrau region for a visit but didn’t ski, however the scenery was beautiful. I’m trying to decide if we should go back there to ski or if the scenery/slopes would be different and better in Chamonix. We ski and snowboard and would probably do both on our trip. Also, we aren’t too interested in off piste skiing. Our main concern is getting the most breathtaking scenery. Anyone’s opinion would be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 10:52:40 #875094

Hi ggbrad326,

I understand your main concern is scenery when you ski? I’ve found all ski hills here to have that in abundance!
    The Jungfrau region does indeed have some great ski areas. I enjoyed a trip to Zermatt to ski there a couple winters ago (nice to look at the Matterhorn as you ski!).

St. Moritz and Davos in North-East of Switzerland also has some great ski areas.

I haven’t been to Chamonix but I am sure it won’t disappoint!

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    26 January 2018 at 19:26:57 #875095

Hi,

I’ve skied both Chamonix and the Jungfrau region and found the Jungfrau a lot better in terms of access and variety. The problem with Chamonix is how spread out the lifts are. You can’t really ski from lift to lift like you can elsewhere. There are several ski areas in the valley, but you need to take the bus to get from 1 to the next.

The Jungfrau is split into 3 areas, First, Kleine Scheidegg and Wengen with a mixture of north and south facing slopes. If the snow is top to bottom you could theoretically ski from from First to Wengen using just cable cars, but the individual areas are so big I’ve never bothered to do this.

Zermatt has excellent slopes, most of which are above the tree line. If you haven’t been there before it is a magical place in winter. Jeremy Clarkson skies there.

Hope this is of some help. Enjoy your trip.

Alan

• The thread ‘Best location to ski/snowboard in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.