Best mountain tour from Lucerne by train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2018 at 5:20:03 #818957

Hello!

My friend and I will be traveling from Venice to Lucerne on November 27, 2018 in the morning. Since we will obviously arrive in Lucerne noon time, we will just explore the city using the remaining time of the day. On the 28th, we would like to visit the mountainside (hopefully with lots of snow) near Lucerne which should be accessible by train. Please give us recommendations on which mountain tour should we avail considering our very limited stay in Lucerne. We are not sports enthusiasts, so we are not interested in skiing activities. We just want to see one of the snow-capped mountains of Switzerland before we head to Colmar the following day, one which is a little bit near or the travel should not be time-consuming. Would greatly appreciate any suggestion. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2018 at 7:45:08 #899138

Hi Mitchie Van and welcome to MySwissAlps!

To ensure you get to experience some snow at the mountain top, I would visit Titlis: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis – click on the route tab for details on how to get there.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan the trip out and see how long it will take you: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Tickets can be bought online (link above) or bought when you are there at Lucerne train station. As it sounds like only a 2 day trip here, a rail pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses) won’t be of any benefit for you (especially if Titlis is your only trip outside of Luzern).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2018 at 12:45:01 #899139

Thank you very much Lucas for the prompt and very informative reply! Mt. Titlis looks breath-taking and we are so excited to go there!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2018 at 0:52:41 #899140

Engelberg is the standard ‘snowy mountain’ resort destination from Luzern, as it is not very far and has a regular train service – simple

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2018 at 14:03:43 #899141

Thank you fo this information! So there is also an equally beautiful mountain in Engelberg! We will consider this as it is nearer from Lucerne than Mt. Titlis. Excited to be there 😊 Again, thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2018 at 1:25:37 #899142

No, you misunderstand.

The Titlis is the mountain peak above Engelberg. To get to the Titlis, you take a cableway from Engelberg

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2018 at 2:26:02 #899143

Oh okay. So Mt. Titlis it is! Thank you for the clarification. At any rate, any snowy mountain would be great for me since I live in a tropical country without any snowfall at all. 😊

• The thread ‘Best mountain tour from Lucerne by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.