Best option for a 3 day visit

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2011 at 11:36:09 #804340

Hello 🙂 my family of 6 (2 adults, 4 youths (16-26)) will be visiting switzerland this june.

We will be arriving at Zurich airport (14 June morning), and staying in Lucern for 2 nights, before departing from Basel (16 June evening).
    We plan spend a day (or part of it) at Mt Titlis, and haven’t planned for anything else for the remaining 1.5 days- suggestions are welcome 🙂

With that, we will be taking these trips (at the minimum)
    a) Zurich- Lucern
    b) Lucern-Engelberg
    c) Engelberg-Lucern
    d) Lucern- Basel
    e) in addition, we’ll need to take the gondola/cable car up to mt titlis from Engelberg

what’s the best, most cost effective pass that you will recommend we buy?

thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 May 2011 at 15:27:21 #832967

Hi gracee,

Welcome to our website! If you would just take the trips you listed, regular tickets would be cheaper than buying any pass. It would be around CHF 170 p.p., as you can check in the timetable and on the Titlis website.

However, for just a bit more money the youths can purchase 4-day Swiss Youth Passes and the two adults a 3-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. That’s what I would recommend if you prefer the freedom of adapting your plans to the weather or do some extra trips. Extra trips could be a boat ride on Lake Lucerne or the cog train up Mount Rigi. Both are free with those passes. Details and purchase options can be found on the pages I linked to.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2011 at 9:55:07 #832968

thanks for the information Arno!

you were mentioning, a cog train up Mt Rigi… does the swiss pass cover the full cost of transportation beginning from lucerne all the way up to mt riggi?
    (eg, if i choose to take a boat Lucerne to Weggis or Vitznau, then the cog train all the wat up to Riggi Kulm?)

i’m still planning things to do on the 14th and 16th, so maybe getting the swiss pass might be of greater value 🙂 i also understand that it gives me free admission to museums? and that with the pass, i’ll be entitled to 50% off the trip up Mt Titlis (which is originally at CHF86). Kindly correct my understanding if it’s not right 🙂

Thanks!

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 May 2011 at 10:54:10 #832969

Hi Gracee,

Yes, from Lucerne up to the Rigi is fully covered with a Swiss Pass, regardless if you travel by train or boat. The cable car from Weggis is discounted, and so is Mount Titlis. You can check the link to the map on the Swiss Pass page to see what else is included. Indeed, about 400 museums offer free admission to Swiss Pass holders.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2011 at 11:47:26 #832970

Hi Gracee, we make good use of our Swiss pass in Museums – most are free, including the Glacier Museum in Lucerne. The excellent Transport Museum in Lucerne is not free but you get a good discount with the pass and it is well worth a visit. You could use your pass to visit Interlaken, travelling on the scenic route via Meiringen. You could get off the train in Brienz and contimue your journey by boat on lake Brienz. with a view of the Giessbach Falls on the way. Maggie

• The thread ‘Best option for a 3 day visit’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.