Best rail pass for 15 days in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2017 at 1:55:59 #813860

Hi, We are a couple with 2 teens with 17 and 18 years.

Will travel from Geneve- airport direct to Zermatt WHERE will stay from 3 to 10 feb(7 days).

Afterwards we intend to go into Glacier express to ST MORITZ from 10 to 16 feb (6days)

On 16 Feb We go From St Moritz to GENEVE

Shoul we choose 2 swiss travel pass flex 4 days and 2 swiss travel pass flex youth

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 December 2017 at 6:16:30 #873160

Hi Adriana,

The only way to be sure which pass is best is to add up the full fares for the trips you plan (using the Swiss Railway Timetable http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) and then compare that to what you would pay with the various passes. See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Have you had a look at the Swiss Transfer Ticket (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstransferticket)? That would get you from Geneva Airport to Zermatt and from St Moritz to Geneva Airport for CHF146/person which is about the price of a ticket from St Moritz to Geneva Airport. It looks like your only other major trip is the Glacier Express so you may find it makes sense to just buy a point to point ticket for that.

Another option you could look at for the Glacier Express trip is the Saver Day Pass. But prices vary and you would need to buy somewhere between 10 and 30 days out from travel and hope you cracked the lowest price. See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/new-deal-on-saver-day-pass

Your plan of using a Swiss Travel Pass Flex will certainly be the most convenient. Whichever pass you choose there is an additional charge for mandatory reservations on the Glacier Express.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 December 2017 at 11:58:15 #873161

Hi Adriana,

Note that the Swiss Travel Pass Flex will get you no discounts at all if you don’t active that pass for that day. So a 4-day pass would include the trips you mentioned, but no cable cars etc. on the other days. A Swiss Half Fare Card may work out cheaper depending on your exact plans. Or even the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass if you plan to make longer day trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2017 at 13:52:10 #873162

Dear Arno,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I ALREADY BOUGHT 2 STFLEX CARDS FOR YOUTH AND 2 FOR ADULTS. IT WILL BE 3 TRAINS TRAVEL:

1 GENEVE -ZERMAT 2 ZERMAT – ST MORITZ 3 ST MORITZ – GENEVE

3 non consecutives days .

My doubts . do my teens 17 and 18 years have some discount to make reservation in Glacier expres?

how can I should validate my swiss flex card?

thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2017 at 13:54:18 #873163

Sorry, I forget to say that we intend to skiing so we will buy ski passes also.( So we dont need cable car) Do you think that STC offer some discount o ski passes ?

Tks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2017 at 15:02:46 #873164

Hi Adriana,

There are no discounts for the Glacier Express reservations unfortunately, nor is there a discount for ski tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2017 at 20:45:12 #873165

THANK YOU AGAIN

MERRY CHRISTMAS

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 December 2017 at 21:10:33 #873166

You don’t need to “validate” your flex passes. You activate prior to travelling on the days you want to use it by filling in that date in the next available box on the Pass.

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for 15 days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.